Skip to main content

Colbert is back!

Having been a long-time viewer of both The Daily Show and The Colbert Report, it was incredibly tough seeing Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert leave their respective shows this past year. Larry Wilmore's The Nightly Show has improved in recent weeks, but it still lacks the biting satire and goofy charm of The Colbert Report, and it's unknown at this time just how well Trevor Noah will be able to fill in for Jon Stewart on The Daily Show. Fortunately, Stephen Colbert returned last night as host of CBS' The Late Show, taking over the reins from David Letterman.

Supposedly the show lasted two hours and had to be condensed to slightly over an hour, so there were some bumps and bruises along the way, but that's to be expected in a show's debut. It featured guests George Clooney, Jeb Bush, and around fifty musicians performing their rendition of Sly & the Family Stone's classic tune, "Everyday People." Colbert's introduction and monologue were decent. His comedy bits following the monologue were a combination of strange and hilarious, the latter of which included Colbert engorging himself with Donald Trump video clips and Oreo's. The show's band, Jon Batiste & Stay Human, was excellent. The conversation with Clooney wasn't the smoothest of interviews, but their made-up film was entertaining. The discussion with Jeb Bush was the better of the two interviews. Unfortunately, not all of it was aired, but I was able to find the extended interview online without much problem. Bush went on a couple of same-old-same-old-talking-point-tangents, but was caught off guard a couple times by Colbert, which made for some rather entertaining reactions on the former Florida governor's part.

Overall, while the show definitely wasn't without its flaws, I couldn't help but smile seeing Stephen Colbert back and hosting a late-night talk show again. There's just something about his personality, spirit, and demeanor which is contagious, and tends to prompt smiles even if a joke misses the mark. From his silly dance moves to his singing to his look which suggests he's happy to be there, it's difficult not to like Stephen Colbert. He's always been a personal favorite of mine, probably one of my biggest writing influences, and I sincerely hope he fills Letterman's shoes admirably, and hosts the show for a long time to come. Welcome back, Stephen! The (Colbert) Nation missed you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...