Skip to main content

GOP candidates write New York Times op-ed

Getting a little fed up with professional fact-checkers researching their claims and telling the world they're wrong, all remaining Republican presidential candidates decided to get together and release the following New York Times op-ed piece, entitled, "A Fact Is Like Your Opinion, Man":

"We're all getting a little tired of fact-checkers listening to and researching what we have to say, and then telling the world we're wrong - you know, doing their jobs. What these fact-checkers fail to realize, though, is that a fact is like your opinion, man. For example, to us, it's a fact that 240% of Planned Parenthood's services are geared toward abortion. It's a fact that all Muslim cab drivers are likely terrorists and saying such a thing is in no way racist. Not only that, but it's a fact that a virgin woman gave birth to the perfect person, who died on a wooden cross for our sins, and rose again three days later, even though we've never personally had contact with him outside of crazy acid trips. Facts aren't set in stone, people. Facts are whatever you make them out to be. It's like the saying goes, 'Facts are like holes in the ass; everyone's got one.'  So it's about time these fact-checkers got called out for their seemingly constant need to thoroughly research things and just accept the fact that their facts won't always align with ours, and we hope many others take a similar stand. Students, if a teacher claims you were wrong about an answer you gave on a test, stand up to her and say, 'That's just like your opinion, man.' Workers, when a boss accuses you of being wrong about something, again, stand up to him and say, 'Look, your facts and my facts just aren't the same,' and see what happens. It's about time we all stand up and refuse to take responsibility for anything we say or do!"

Within five minutes of the article's publication, several fact-checkers responded with this:

"Fact: 'a thing that is indisputably the case.' Opinion: 'a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.'"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...