Skip to main content

It's official; I'm Mr. Look-alike

I'm sure a decent percentage of people have had another tell them, "You know who you remind me of?" before uttering a celebrity's name. However, this happens to me on an almost weekly basis, and while I hear one celebrity's name more frequently than others, I think I've been told I resemble twelve different celebrities over the course of the past year or so, and am starting to think I should change my name middle name from Matthew to Look-alike.

According to others, who do I apparently resemble? Oh, just the following:

1) Tom Hanks

2) Matt Bomer

3) Jeff Duhamel

4) Jon Hamm

5) Bill Hader

6) Topher Grace

7) Joshua Jackson

8) Gavin Rossdale

9) Arnold Schwarzenegger

10) Rob Lowe

11) Ewan McGregor

12) Cary Grant

Update: I was just told I resemble two other actors:

13) Mark Valley

14) Patrick Wilson

Update: Here's another...

15) Christopher Reeve (as Superman)

Update: ...and another...

16) Peter Bergman

Update: ...and yet another...

17) Chris Pine

Update: ...and yes, another...

18) Kurt Russell

Oh, and would you know, yet another...

19) Micky Dolenz

...and yet another...

20) Tom Cruise

...and yes, another...

21) Laurence Olivier

The list keeps going...

22) Henry Cavill

...and here are two more...

23) Robert Montgomery

24) Jude Law

...and one more...

25) Kristoff from Frozen (yes, I apparently even resemble animated characters)

...and another...

26) Neil Patrick Harris

...and add another to the list...

27) Colin Hanks

...and yet another...

28) Pierce Brosnan

...and two more...

29) Tom Everett Scott

30) Joe Scarborough

...and another...

31) Christopher Wray

32) Kirk Cameron

33) Mr. Fantastic (from the 1994 cartoon, Fantastic Four)

I may be forgetting some names, but those are the first 33 which come to mind. The most common comparison I hear is (a young) Tom Hanks. My family doesn't see the resemblance, but many outside the family sure seem to see it. At no time was the more the case than last night, when I met with a friend for karaoke. On three separate occasions, a person tapped me on the shoulder and said, "Has anyone ever told you that you look like a young Tom Hanks?" After the third such occasion, I really started to wonder if I was on candid camera. Not only that, but when I heard my name called to sing a song, multiple people started chanting the actor's name: "Tom Hanks! Tom Hanks! Tom Hanks!" I couldn't help but wave and laugh. If I ever stop in there again, I may bring a Wilson volleyball with me, speak in a Southern Forrest Gump-ian accent, and be prepared to start taking pictures and signing autographs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...