Skip to main content

If marriage were like Congress...

I've long said I see Congress to be like a marriage. While Republicans and Democrats may have a differing ideal vision of America and how we reach this ideal, we won't be able to come anywhere close to this ideal without working together. In other words, sacrifices and compromises need to be made to, at the very least, take baby steps forward, if not giant leaps. If one side or the other says no to each and every proposal, unwilling to make any kind of sacrifice or come to any form of compromise, progress will be next to impossible. It's similar to a marriage. The two spouses may have slightly differing ideas on what the perfect marriage or family life is and how to reach that point, but unless the two make some sacrifices along the way and form compromises in the process, the relationship will be all but doomed. Just imagine if a husband and wife behaved the way Congress has been in recent years...

Setting: Mr. and Mrs. Congress' home as they eat dinner in the dining room

Mrs. Congress: "Honey, can you pick up Jr. at school after work tomorrow? His Dungeons & Dragons curling practice ends at 5."

Mr. Congress: "No!"

Mrs. Congress: "Why not?!? I can't get him! I have that job interview I told you about a few days ago!"

Mr. Congress: "Because I don't want to!"

Mrs. Congress: "What?!? You don't think there are times I do things I don't want to do? You think I like cooking for you every night? Cleaning the house once a week? Doing all the dishes and laundry? That weird position you told me about a couple months ago you called 'Frogger on Steroids'? I don't think so!"

Mr. Congress: "What's your point?"

Mrs. Congress: "My point is... Nevermind. I'll just have Uber pick him up again..."

Mr. Congress: "Good"

Mrs. Congress: "Since you won't be picking up Jr. tomorrow and I'll be at the interview, do you think you could at least have something ready to eat by the time I get home? Either cook it yourself or pick it up from somewhere?"

Mr. Congress: "I don't think so."

Mrs. Congress: "Why this time?"

Mr. Congress: "Eh, I just need some relaxation time."

Mrs. Congress: "More?!? You just had a week off for the holidays!"

Mr. Congress: "Yeah, but that's not enough."

Mrs. Congress: "But you're basically retired! ...and are just working part-time!"

Mr. Congress: "So what?"

Mrs. Congress: "Fine... I'll just pick up something on the way back home."

Mr. Congress: "Thanks"

Mrs. Congress: "Well, maybe you can get a head start with cleaning for the weekend then. You know we're having that couples party on Saturday. So could you please help around the house while I'm gone?"

Mr. Congress: "I'd rather not."

Mrs. Congress: "What? What now?"

Mr. Congress: "Some guys I know said that they'd be highly disappointed if a man, like me, cleaned around the house, and they'd forever bully and tease me about it."

Mrs. Congress: "I'm about to bully you right now!"

Mr. Congress: "How come?"

Mrs. Congress: "Because you'll never work with me on anything! I'm like a one man-, I mean, one-woman operation around here! You never compromise!"

Mr. Congress: "Honey?"

Mrs. Congress: "Yes..."

Mr. Congress: "Wanna do that 'Frogger on Steroids' thing again?"

Mrs. Congress: "No!!!"

Mr. Congress: "Geez, Louise, look who's calling who difficult here... Wanna fetch me a beer at least?"

Mrs. Congress: "No!!!"

Mr. Congress: "Alright, fine then, have it your way. I'll get up and grab it myself. It seems like I'm the only one doing any work around here anyway."

Mrs. Congress: "You son of a..."

...and they lived happily ever after, or something...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...