Skip to main content

Giving up drinking (for the time being at least)

Drinking alcohol is pretty common in my family, especially on my dad's side (around the holidays). When we all get together, it's just something we've always done. I have no idea how the tradition started, who started it, or anything of the sort. I just know when we all get together around the holidays, there are five constants: 1) Lots of food, 2) Alcohol, 3) Music, 4) Television, and 5) Laughter. I suppose after working X number of hours throughout the course of a week, month, year, it's nice to kick back, have a few drinks, and relax with the family around the holidays. However, given my recent health problems, I've decided to stop drinking, at least until my doctors and I get everything sorted. A similar thing occurred in 2009 and 2010 when I was ill. My doctors and I were uncertain of what was transpiring, so I decided to cut myself off from alcohol during that time (most of that time anyway). Once we finally started figuring out what was going on and my symptoms began to wane, we decided it was okay for me to drink again. It's a little trickier this time. In '09-10, I was battling a 2-year mystery virus of some kind. This time around, it seems as though I'm battling blood pressure, heart palpitations, and panic attacks, which alcohol can definitely worsen. So, once again, I'm going to quit drinking, until, at the very least, my doctors okay it with me. Sure, if that never happens again, I'll miss participating in this part of my family tradition around the holidays, I'll miss the social aspect of it, but if all I have to do to guarantee I never experience another major panic attack is to permanently give up alcohol, that's not going to be a difficult sacrifice to make. With this change and others, hopefully the rest of 2016 isn't nearly as turbulent on the health front as it's been to this point in the new year. Cheers to good health! :: takes a shot of water ::

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...