Skip to main content

NFL Conference Championships Predictions

Sunday
Game: New England at Denver

Prediction: New England - Watching the two AFC divisional games this past weekend, it appears as if New England's offense is healthier than its been in a while and Denver's lucky to be playing this next week. If it wasn't for Fitzgerald Toussaint's fumble, Denver could very well have been sitting at home for this game. So long as the Pats' offensive line can protect Tom Brady relatively well in this game, I have to like their chances in this one. Their offense is healthier than it's been in several weeks, Brady has been much more consistent throwing the football than Peyton Manning this season, not to mention he's had the upper-hand in the two future Hall-of-Famers' postseason matchups. Lastly, considering the fact New England blew a 4th quarter lead against the Broncos earlier this season, I have a difficult time seeing Bill Belichick lose again to the same team in a single season. I'll take the Pats on the road by a field goal.

Result:

Record:


Game: Arizona at Carolina

Prediction: Arizona - This was an extremely difficult game to pick. Arizona, coming off a great 13-3 season, decided not to show up to its regular season finale against NFC West rival Seattle, falling to the Seahawks 38-8. On Saturday night, Carson Palmer struggled inside the red zone (partially due to the index finger on his throwing hand); Green Bay (for the most part) dominated the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, yet in the end, the Cardinals found a way to win in an incredible game. Carolina looked like the inevitable Super Bowl champion in the first half of their divisional round matchup with Seattle, as they led the Seahawks 31-0 going into halftime. In the 2nd half, that wasn't the case, as Seattle outscored the Panthers 24-0, and were an onside kick away from making the game incredibly interesting. If they had showed up at all in the first half, they'd be traveling to Arizona for this game. The two big keys in this game are: 1) Arizona limiting Carolina's running game and 2) Carolina's pass coverage against the Cardinals' deep threats. It'll be interesting to see if Arizona's typically aggressive style of defense will be able to get to Cam Newton, limit his running ability, and force him into making turnovers, or if the likely MVP is able to use that aggressiveness to his team's advantage with big plays in the passing game. I'm thinking it'll be a mixed bag, and given the Panthers' banged up secondary, so long as Carson Palmer is on target, I have to believe there will be some open deep shots along the way. Cam Newton is this year's MVP, but the guy can't always do it alone, and to this point in the season, so long as they're healthy, I think Arizona is the better all-around football team. I'll take the Cardinals by a field goal.

Result:

Record:


Conference Championships Record:

Playoff Record: 4-4 (.500)

Overall Record: 155-109 (.587)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...