Skip to main content

When Donald Trump supporters or undecideds call Hillary Clinton a liar...

Whenever I discuss the 2016 election with a person and he or she states matter-of-factly, "Hillary Clinton is a liar," I'm, for lack of a better word, floored. Now, is it true that Hillary Clinton has uttered falsehoods during her political career, including this current campaign? Yes, of course. But, unless we want to be naive, what politician hasn't? Saying a politician lies is like saying a dog barks, a cat meows, or wind storms tend to be quite windy. So, if a person were to tell me, "Like all other politicians, Hillary Clinton lies," that would be an accurate statement. However, that's not what most people are implying when they utter such a line. What they're saying is, "Hillary Clinton lies more than Donald Trump," which is more ridiculous than if I were to say, "Casper is more orange than an Oompa Loompa."

The Pulitzer-Prize winning fact-checking site Politifact.com has graded 266 claims made by Hillary Clinton and 285 made by Donald Trump. Here's how those numbers currently break down:

Hillary Clinton
Total: 266
True: 62 (23%)
Mostly True: 73 (27%)
Half True/Half False: 58 (22%)
Mostly False: 40 (15%)
False: 27 (10%)
Pants on Fire: 6 (2%)

Donald Trump
Total: 285
True: 12 (4%)
Mostly True: 33 (12%)
Half True/Half False: 40 (14%)
Mostly False: 51 (18%)
False: 100 (35%)
Pants on Fire: 49 (17%)

So, if we exclude the Half True/Half False grades (because which way we'd see them leaning would likely indicate some kind of bias), here's how the candidates' numbers would read:

Clinton
True/Mostly True: 50%
False/Mostly False/Pants on Fire: 27%
Net: +23%

Trump
True/Mostly True: 16%
False/Mostly False/Pants on Fire: 70%
Net: -54%

Difference: Clinton +77%/Trump -77%

Even if we were to rule all of Clinton's Half True/Half False statements as false and all of Trump's such rulings as true, Trump would still be the bigger liar between the two (Clinton: 50/50 vs. Trump 30/70) - by an astounding 20%!

Here are some other "wow" numbers when comparing the two candidates' levels of honesty:

- Donald Trump has more Pants on Fire grades (49) than True and Mostly True grades (45)

- Donald Trump has 27 more False grades (100) than Hillary Clinton has False, Mostly False, and Pants on Fire grades (73)

- If he were to make 100 claims, on average, Donald Trump would be telling the full truth just 4 times

If that weren't enough, renowned Washington Post fact-checker Glenn Kessler, when fact-checking last night's debate, provided 25 fact-checks, 22 for Donald Trump and just 3 for Hillary Clinton. Why? Because Donald Trump lies more than Jack Nicholson washes his hands in As Good As It Gets, and to call Hillary Clinton a liar when comparing her to Trump would be like me calling Jimmy Carter a man-whore when comparing him to Charlie Sheen.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/hillary-clinton/

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...