Skip to main content

Touching on the Wild World of Sports

As long-time readers should know by now, I love sports. Unfortunately, with how crazy election season has been, I haven't had much time to write about the world of sports in recent months. So I thought I'd touch on the subject with a few comments and observations:

- Congratulations to the Chicago Cubs and the Cleveland Indians on reaching the World Series. It's honestly hard for me to choose the side, for as I was growing up, both "Major League" (Cleveland Indians) and "Rookie of the Year" (Chicago Cubs) were showing in theaters. In the end, I think I'm leaning toward the Cubs, but if Willie Mays Hayes and Pedro Cerrano suit up for Cleveland, I may have to pull for the Indians.

- People need to calm down about the Golden State Warriors' opening night dud against the San Antonio Spurs. The Warriors this year remind me of the Miami Heat in their first season with the trifecta Dwanye Wade, LeBron James, and Chris Bosh. While Miami finished the season strong en route to an NBA Finals appearance, they started off sluggish. The team's chemistry didn't happen overnight. So with the addition of Kevin Durant to the mix, it's going to take Golden State some time to do similarly. Like the trio in Miami, Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson, and Kevin Durant are all unselfish players and will find a way to make things work. But again, it's going to take some time, so be patient.

- This Alabama vs. the world narrative ESPN has been citing in recent weeks is getting a little old. Yes, Alabama is a great football team, but they have a fairly young, one-dimensional offense, and should have probably lost to Mississippi earlier in the year. The Tide isn't unbeatable, and if they face a team that can stop the run, they'll be left vulnerable.

- Once again, the New England Patriots look like the team to beat in the NFL. After them, though, there are a number of question marks for potential competitors. Can Dallas keep things going being led by two rookies on offense? Are the youthful Raiders really ready to take that next step? Can Seattle hold steady until Russell Wilson is back to 100%? Will Arizona find their spark again on offense? Can Minnesota generate enough offense to make a deep run in the playoffs? Can Pittsburgh do what they did a season ago and play .500 during Ben Roethlisberger's absence? Are Cincinnati, Green Bay, Carolina, and Denver trending downward, or can they bounce back? To this point in the season, there appear to be millions more questions than answers.

- Oh, hockey has started as well? I'll be darned...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...