Skip to main content

Trump's approval increases after the pointless shutdown he started ended

During the 35-day government shutdown, the longest in this country's history, Donald Trump saw his approval rating drop to 37% in Gallup polls. The latest round of Gallup polls were just released this week and it showed Trump's post-shutdown approval rating was up 7 points to 44%. Upon seeing this, my first reaction was, "WTF?!? Are people really this stupid?!?" Considering the fact we elected this man president at all, I suppose it should be obvious by now that answer is a resounding yes!

Let's think about this for a moment. Congress passed a bipartisan, nearly unanimous budget bill which Donald Trump said he was going to sign. After receiving some heat from right-wing talking heads like Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh, Trump changed his mind at the last moment and decided to shut down the government until he received the money he initially wanted to build a southern border wall. The shutdown lasted a record-setting 35 days, where hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people were negatively impacted. After 35 days and his poll numbers plunging, Trump finally agreed to sign a bipartisan budget deal which included $0 for his southern border wall.

Go through that breakdown in your mind again. Trump went against his word to start a government shutdown. This shutdown lasted a record number of days. It was all due to him wanting $5 billion for a border wall. He wound up signing a budget deal which included no funds for a border wall. In a span of just 35 days, the "man" proved himself to be dishonest; gullible; and perhaps one of the world's worst negotiators. He lied, didn't fulfill his promise, and gave in without getting what he wanted. What was the end result? A 7-point increase in approval numbers. It's official; we really are living in Mike Judge's vision of Idiocracy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...