Skip to main content

When it comes to analytics, two Hall-of-Fame coaches are with me. Just sayin'.

On October 21st of this year, I wrote a blog titled, "Common Sense Trumps Analytics," where I criticized NFL coaches for obsessing over the analytics spreadsheet; treating it like a Bible; and using it as an excuse if things go awry - even when the decision made absolute no sense whatsoever. Well, two Hall-of-Fame coaches have just chimed in on the subject, and guess what? They completely agree with me.

Two-time Super Bowl-winning coach Bill Parcells said on the subject:

"This analytics stuff, I don't care for it. This is a 'get-off-my-lawn' guy talking. When you start talking about analytics, everybody's an expert. I saw this happen in boxing when they came up with the CompuBox - this guy had so many punches and so many power-punches, so therefore he should win the fight. It made everybody an expert. In reality, there's more criteria than just punching. Like ring gamesmanship. When I was coaching, I went for it on fourth down quite a bit. I wasn't doing it because of the percentages, I was doing it because I had Jumbo Elliott and Mark Bavaro as blockers. They were pretty dominant. You could count on them. But for someone who says you should go for it on fourth-and-one because that's what the book says, what they don't know about are the mismatches. You're a little more reluctant to go for it when Reggie White is over there. Analytics are nothing but statistics. I don't want to sound like I don't believe in statistics. I used statistics. But I don't believe the percentages apply in every situation."

Two-time Super Bowl-winning coach Jimmy Johnson had this to add:

"I think a lot of the decisions are made with analytics and percentages, and they forget about their team and their opponent. Some coaches fall back on analytics too much. I feel like the risk-taking has gone to another level."

Yeah, what they said, which I said.

 

https://thekind-heartedsmartaleck.blogspot.com/2021/10/common-sense-trumps-analytics.html

https://sports.yahoo.com/opinion-bill-parcells-jimmy-johnson-222938227.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...