Skip to main content

Dennis Rodman Syndrome (DRS)

Anybody remember Dennis Rodman? The basketball player whom pulled down 15-20 rebounds a game, maybe coming away with 4-6 points? He was Mr. Rebound while in the league.

I've known a few Dennis Rodmans in my day and no, I'm not talking about it in a basketball sense. I'm talking about it in a relationship sense. Know any people like that? They just bounce around like a pinball from one person to the next. Every guy or gal they date is a rebound. There will come a point where a guy or gal they date is a rebound off of a rebound off of a rebound off of a rebound. That's a lot of rebounds right there.

I admit, I've thought about rebounding before, but haven't been able to follow through with it. I tried going out and admitting to myself that I was over an ex, but when I was out and about, I realized I wasn't over her yet. So, I'd be honest about that and it'd be a one-date stint.

So, what's it take to rebound? Is there such a thing as a successful rebound or are most rebounds followed up by a travel, a personal foul or another missed shot? After a rebound, do most people try to force up a quick shot instead of using all 24 seconds in the shot clock? How many rebounds would it take before they are finally able to convert on the shot successfully?

It just seems like it's one guy or gal after another with these people. There might be a day or two in between relationships, but that's about it. If they're single for a week or more, then they start pondering about crawling back to their ex.

What's so bad about being single? Why is there the constant need for a love interest with some people? Don't we need time to recuperate when getting out of a long-term relationship? I hear from many that it usually takes half the time that two people dated in order to get over them. So, if a couple dated for two years, it'd take about a full year to completely get over them. For the most part, that's held pretty true for me. I dated a gal for close to two years (22 months) and it took me about 9 months to get over her. In those 9 months, did I try to date? Yes, I did, but those were all very short-lasted, because I realized I was not over her and I felt it wasn't fair of me to get involved with someone when I knew darn well I wasn't fully over my ex.

I do know of a few rebound relationships that actually worked, well, technically speaking. The couples got married, but happily? I couldn't say that.

So, what's the moral of the story? When one gets out of a long-term relationship, get off the court and be a benchwarmer or a coach for a while. They shouldn't get back out there until they know they're ready to play and successfully convert on their shots, as opposed to missing left and right and coming down with Rodman-like statistics.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...