Skip to main content

“It was like… Oh my gosh!”

Not too terribly long ago, my folks and I went out to eat. Dinner was going well, until the very end. As we were waiting for dessert, these two young ladies sat down in the booth next to ours. They were around 20-21 years old, I think.

The lady who was facing away from our booth hardly muttered a word. I almost felt bad for the girl. The gal facing toward our booth couldn't shut her mouth. That wasn't even the worst part. The part that really aggravated me (all three of us) was what she said. Ever hear of the "Valley Girl?"? She was this "Valley Girl" times about twenty-three. Every other word that came out of her mouth was "like".

"And like, oh my gosh, there was like this guy and like I like totally thought like he like liked me and like, he totally came onto me that night and like we like exchanged phone numbers and like we're I think like going to like go out tomorrow night or something like that."

Oh, let me count the "likes". Fourteen right there and that would've been said in about a minute. We had to listen to her talk like this for approximately ten minutes. It seemed like an eternity. After only a couple minutes, my dad jokingly said, "Okay, and that makes thirty-one," tallying the number of times she said "like".

The scary part was the fact that she ordered wine, said she was a senior in college, so that would make her what, 21 probably? So, she's probably already taken a public speaking or speech course. I can only imagine how much cringing took place during her speeches. The words "umm," "uhh" and "like" are the three words said not to be used. They're called space fillers and for some reason or another, some feel that as long as they keep their mouths moving, they'll sound more intelligent. Sometimes that old saying "less is more" rings true. It's sad that she had already taken public speaking courses and still speaks like that.

Why do some people talk like that? Do they think that the other gender finds it attractive? Do females feel that guys dig the ditsy valley girl routine? Do males feel they'll be better able to communicate with the gals who put on the valley girl routine if they do it themselves? I don't get it I tell you. I'm not going to try to figure it out, either, because listening to one minute of that routine gives me a headache.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...