Skip to main content

I Do Not Belong In This Generation

What do they call us? Generation X is it? I just read a brief overview of a book dealing with the reasons that people in my generation are waiting longer to get married. I don't know that I agree with all the reasons, but there were some that clicked. She called it the "me, me, me" generation and people are so caught up with themselves and their needs and wants, that they focus most of their time on themselves. Getting involved in a committed relationship would be too much, unless they add another 24 hours to each day. She also mentioned how everything is quick and easy for this generation and she's right. Cell phones, ipods, playstation and xbox 3's, internet, instant messages, text messages, e-mails. Things are fast and easy. The author also mentioned how Hollywood relationships and movies don't help matters any and she pointed directly toward Tom Cruise as an ideal example. So, if it's not fast and easy, then we're not going to have any of it.

This isn't the case with all people in our generation, of course. But, from what I've seen, it seems to be that way for many. If you ask many people from my generation, "What date is it alright to have sex on?,” surprisingly, many would say the third date. The third date? I mean, if the aspiring couple dates once a week, that'd be within the first month of dating.

I've decided that I don't belong in this generation. The truth is I probably don't focus enough attention on myself, because I'm constantly helping others. For the most part, I'm not into the quick and easy technology craze, excluding the internet, which I'm using right now. I also can't stand when people move too fast in a relationship, treating it like an IM.

I truly hope that this isn't the case for many Generation X'ers, but I have to say, from what I've seen and heard, it most definitely is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...