Skip to main content

To Blog or Not To Blog

That is the question. What even is a blog? What are they supposed to be about? Anything in particular? A play-by-play of one's life? A venting session about certain things? A cathartic release? A time to keep friends and family updated on life? An opportunity to write about situations and ask for advice? What really is the point in writing a blog?

I ask all these questions, because in all honesty, I have no idea what the answers are. I just started blogging in not too terribly long ago and it seems I hold a different philosophy of blogometry than others I've read through. The majority I've read through are the x's and o's of one's life, the play-by-play. It could be referred to as "The (name of the blogger) Daily News." It's nice to read about an exciting event in one's life: A trip that one took, a first date that went well, a graduation, a new job opportunity, amongst other things. But, sometimes, I think people go a bit too far. I'll give an exaggerated example:

"At 6:43 am, I woke up, groggy, not wanting to start the day. At 7:01, I found the strength to shower and get ready. I used Tone soap and Head & Shoulders shampoo. I finished my shower at approximately 7:20. In a hurry to get to work by 8:00, I put deodorant on, cleaned my ears with q-tips, got dressed, did my hair, brushed my teeth with Aquafresh-whitening toothpaste, made some toast and was out the door at 7:43. I made it to work just in time, at 7:59..."

Okay, I'm sure you get the idea. I love hearing great news or funny stories, but do we need to know everything? Even when talking about a special date, are there some things that people really want millions of strangers to have the opportunity to read? Surprisingly, some people don't mind.

I also read love letters from one person to another. Can't that be done in private? Does there really have to be a blog posted about it?

"Oh honey, I love you so much. I miss you. You only left 3 minutes and 22 seconds ago, but who's counting? Who am I kidding? I am. I can't wait for you to get home and give me a call. I will always love you. I really look forward to our date this upcoming weekend."

Ah, yes, isn't that shpeshal (special)?

I don't get it. When I started blogging, I thought to myself, "Why in the world would any stranger want to read about my daily life? I'm going to try and write about topics that the majority can relate to, discuss or debate. It'd be nice to add some humor as well. A good laugh can never hurt."

So, I've done Late Show-like Top Ten Lists, written random comments about holidays and celebrities, done movie reviews, written about political issues and covered other topics. When I got personal, I shared some humorous date stories from my past, just because, well, they've received plenty of laughs from when I shared them previously. But, the more I browse bloggerworld, the more day-to-day personal news stories I read.

Is there an official blogger's manual one can read? I'm a newbie with this sort of thing, so I'd like to catch up on all the secrets on which I'm obviously behind. "To blog or not to blog" isn't even the question anymore. The rest of the questions I opened this up with are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...