Skip to main content

Unnecessary Adjectives Give -Ist/-Phobic Impression

There are times when I'm fully understanding of utilizing adjectives to describe a person. If a crime is witnessed, the police will want a full description of the person, so mentioning the person's gender, ethnicity, etc. is necessary information. When setting a person up on a date, it's rather important to give as vivid a picture as is possible, so again, mentioning the person's ethnicity, religion, political affiliation, employment, education, etc. are all meaningful to the discussion.

This isn't always the case, however. Just the other day, a person received a get-well card in the mail from a woman whom attends the same church as this individual. After reading the card and note inside the card, this person said, "She's a very sweet black woman."

I hear this kind of talk more regularly than I'd like.

"He's a really funny gay guy."

"She's a very funny Arab woman."

"He's a short little person."

What need is there for the adjectives in these scenarios? Excluding the last example, which illustrates redundancy, the others make it sound as though the source of the quote feels the individual of whom they speak is an exception rather than the common.

"She's a very sweet black woman" makes it sound as though this is something new, different, that black women tend to not be very sweet. I'm sure that's not what this person was trying to construe, but I can't help but shake my head at such rhetoric.

This very individual is Caucasian. I can bet with every fiber of my being that when describing a fellow Caucasian, he/she wouldn't say something along the lines of, "He's a very sweet white man."

There's really no need for such adjectives in these before-mentioned scenarios. Why can't someone just be sweet? A sweet person? Why can't someone be referred to as an intelligent individual? If someone were to ask me if I thought Halle Berry or Denzel Washington were attractive, I'd simply respond with, "Yes, she is gorgeous" or "Yes, he's an attractive guy and no, I'm not gay." There's really no need for me to include their ethnicity in my response. There are many more attractive men and women of a darker skin tone than I (then again, that's not really saying a whole lot. Isn't that right, Casper?).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...