Skip to main content

Kudos to Steve Young and Trent Dilfer

It was nice hearing former quarterbacks and current ESPN analysts Steve Young and Trent Dilfer finally discuss what the main problem is for the Philadelphia Eagles' offense this year. It hasn't been the coaching nor has it been the play of quarterback Michael Vick, although both have factored into the team's struggles. The main problem has been with the offensive line and that was illustrated more than ever last night, as Vick got sacked 7 times in the game and either pressured or knocked down several others. The Eagles now have four offensive lineman playing regularly that weren't there to start the season. This spells major problems. They may not be the most well-known or highest paid players on offense, but, and I've said this for years - the offensive linemen are the five most important players on offense. The offensive line is where everything starts. They're the guys that open holes for the running back to sneak through. Without that blocking, which has been largely absent this year in the Eagles' running game, yards are going to be hard to come by on the ground. Without solid pass protection, receivers won't have time to run their routes and get open, and the quarterback will have trouble squaring up and throwing an accurate pass, while getting bruised and battered along the way. This makes passing yards harder to come by and turnovers more frequent. A great offensive line can make average quarterbacks and running backs look great. When a line consistently gives a professional quarterback time to throw in the pocket, it doesn't matter if it's Dan Marino or Mark Sanchez, they're more than likely going to be efficient. Under head coach Mike Shanahan for all those years, it didn't matter who the Denver Broncos had at running back - he was guaranteed to rush for over 1,000 yards and several touchdowns. Why? The offensive line was one of the very best. During the '90s, the Dallas Cowboys were known for their star players, such as quarterback Troy Aikman, running back Emmitt Smith and wide receiver Michael Irvin. Where did it start? With that all-pro offensive line - one of the very best in the past 30 years, possibly ever. The Philadelphia Eagles have a lot of problems on offense, but as Steve Young and Trent Dilfer both correctly pointed out last night, it all starts with the play of their awful offensive line.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...