Skip to main content

Does karma exist?

I've been hearing a lot about "karma" recently. It's usually been used in the following manner - "Karma came back to bite him" or "Karma is a b**ch. Just wait and he'll get what he deserves."

Now, I refer to myself as agnostic. While I don't believe there's enough evidence to state there is a higher power we call God, I also don't believe there's enough evidence to deny this being's possible existence either.

As for karma, though, I think I have an even harder time believing it than the existence of a higher power.

First off, let's look at the definition of the term:

"karma [kahr-muh]
noun
1. action, seen as bringing oneself inevitable results, good or bad, either in this life or in a reincarnation.

2. the cosmic principle according to which each person is rewarded or punished in one incarnation according to that person's deeds in the previous incarnation.

3. fate; destiny.

4. the good or bad emanations felt to be generated by someone or something."

I think after looking at the quotes I've heard recently and the term's definition, I have a hard time believing in the existence of karma. I think it's a nice idea and I'd actually prefer that it would be true (like a pleasant afterlife), but like religion can provide one a sense of relief after death, I think karma can provide one a sense of relief prior to it. 

I think it's pretty common after seeing or hearing about a person perform an atrocious act, to secretly hope they're able to be on the other side of that equation in the future. I think it's also pretty common after seeing or hearing about a person perform a generous act, to secretly hope another places them on the receiving side of such a gesture. However, I think that's only wishful thinking.

If karma exists, what did women do to get raped? Children do to get abused? What did people do to deserve poverty? Starvation? What did newborns do to deserve a disease or a mental handicap?

I can hope that good people will somehow get rewarded for their kind deeds and bad people will get punished, but I know that's not always going to be the case, so while I'd love to believe karma existed, I have a very difficult time believing it does.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/karma?s=t

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...