Skip to main content

John McCain and the GOP - 76 going on 13

Remember President George W. Bush and the Iraq War during his term? Remember how his popularity seemed to dwindle by the day following the peak at 9/11, and how support for his decision to invade Iraq seemed to diminish by the day as well? Especially after it was reported that the country possessed no weapons of mass destruction, which is why we invaded them in the first place? Yeah, those were the days, right?

Why do I bring this up? Because Senate Republicans filibustered Defense Secretary nominee Chuck Hagel yesterday. It was the first time in our history that this has happened. Why did they do this one may ask? I'll let Arizona Senator and rumored co-lead to the upcoming film Grumpiest Old Men John McCain explain the reasoning. Keep in mind that Chuck Hagel is a former Republican Senator of Nebraska. McCain explained the reason for filibustering the former Republican Senator as follows:

"It goes back to there's a lot of ill will towards Senator Hagel because when he was a Republican, he attacked President Bush mercilessly and said he was the worst president since Herbert Hoover and said the surge was the worst blunder since the Vietnam War, which was nonsense. He was anti-his own party and people - people don't forget that."

 Ah, yes. In other words, McCain and other Senate Republicans have yet to get over Hagel's critical words from several years ago - words that represented the position held by a growing majority of people at the time. They're still upset that while they stood by President Bush, regardless of how unpopular he and the Iraq War were, appearing to be neutered, Chuck Hagel illustrated he had some cajones, and this left the other Senate Republicans feeling even more limp. Are these elderly Republicans trying to re-live their days in middle school and are going through puberty again as a result? In light of this bit of news, I just heard that next to the term "immature" in the Webster dictionary lies a picture of Senate Republicans, with John McCain front and center.

Segueing from this, I can only imagine Senate Republicans' future reasons for filibustering President Obama's cabinet picks:

- "He said we were old one time. We're not old! We're just very, very, very, very mature!"

- "He sneezed in the middle of a prayer we were having. That was intentional and disrespectful to God!Who does that? Jesus..."

- "He said he believes in all that science baloney, like global warming, evolution, and gravity."

- "The guy is anti-2nd amendment! He said, and I quote, 'Fetuses should not be allowed to carry guns.' So much for the Constitution!"

- "He looked at my wife when he shook her hand and introduced himself. Nobody checks out my wife but me or Ronald Reagan if he were still alive and wanted to do so!"

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/02/15/1187349/-John-McCain-s-very-very-reasonable-explanation-for-why-Republicans-filibustered-Chuck-Hagel

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/15/joe-scarborough-hagel-mccain_n_2693732.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...