Skip to main content

Marco Rubio's response to the State of the Union Address

I didn't know whether to shake my head in disgust or cringe and feel sorry for Marco Rubio last night when giving the State of the Union rebuttal. Granted, it is quite the difficult and awkward task for a person to follow the president's State of the Union speech. Since there's less time to give the speech, details tend to be substituted with generalities, slogans, and talking points. There isn't a great deal of time to go through one's notes regarding the speech, so this too can limit the number of specific details one can present in the rebuttal. Less people tune into the rebuttal than the actual State of the Union speech, and the overall presentation works against the person giving the rebuttal as well. Whereas the president hears commentary emanating from members of Congress' mouths during the speech, along with loud roars, and standing ovations at times, the individual giving the rebuttal typically appears to be in a room all by himself/herself, along with the camera-person.

So, yes, part of me feels for a person like Marco Rubio, who was placed in that difficult position last night. The pressure was placed on him to produce, to become the new face for the party, much like Bobby Jindal was not too long ago, and like Jindal, Rubio fell flat on his face (figuratively speaking, of course). What's the one moment of Rubio's speech that people are talking about? When the guy appeared to be so uncomfortable and nervous, he reached out for a bottle of water, took a drink, handed it back, and went right back to talking. There are already several YouTube clips of this very moment, where people are poking fun at the guy. I have to imagine the likes of Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert will poke fun of him as well on tonight's programs. When the one moment people remember about a speech is an awkward one where a guy reaches a ways for a bottle of water, it's pretty safe to say it's not going to be remembered as being a good speech.

If we were to just look at the actual content in the speech, it sounded like almost every other I've heard from leaders of the Republican Party in recent years. The guy sounded off on the president and the Democratic Party being about taxing and spending (where have I heard that before...) - that they were about big government, and that more government is never a good thing. Meanwhile, he talked about how he received student loans from the government to complete his education and get him to where he is today, before once again basically calling the government worthless. I know, it doesn't make sense, and even he seemed to have trouble buying what he was saying (being told to say).

If I had to grade Rubio's speech, I'd give it a "C-," as it sounded like almost every other like-speech I've heard from Republican leaders in recent years, yet with an above-average awkwardness about it. Like I said, I kind of felt sorry for the guy, yet can't find it in me to raise his grade any just based on that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...