Skip to main content

An absolutist Facebook post about responsibility

Just last night, I read the following meme posted on Facebook and felt the need to comment on it:

"Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents. your past relationships. your job. the economy. the weather. an argument or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make. Period"

First off, I found it kind of funny that the meme closes its mini-rant with "Period," without adding a period after that very word, yet the author seemed content to place in periods throughout the piece where they would result in fragments.

Secondly, I can understand how some people may get sick and tired of hearing individuals blaming their current situations on others (such as their parents), however, when one makes a claim using absolutes, he or she is almost always wrong.

According to the author of this meme, does this mean that:

Jews could blame themselves for being killed during the Holocaust?

Women are to blame themselves for being the victims of rape?

Children born with a debilitating condition are to blame themselves for it?

I'm sorry, but while it's a noble and seemingly rare concept anymore to take responsibility for one's actions and life, there are far too many factors at play for the before-mentioned meme to be at all accurate.

Well, I must be going. Due to how inspired I was by this meme, I shall now go to a hospital to tell a child who was born in a vegetative state that, "You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make. Period." Sometimes people just don't have a choice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...