Skip to main content

Claudius Smith - George Zimmerman similarities

It was recently reported that an Orlando man (Claudius Smith) followed, shot, and killed a young man who ran through his yard, hopped over the fence, and kept running into a neighbor's yard. Smith is hoping he won't face charges due to the infamous Stand Your Ground law. I briefly wrote about this in a blog the other day - http://thekind-heartedsmartaleck.blogspot.com/2014/01/another-crazy-possible-stand-your.html. The only comparison to the George Zimmerman case I made was in the following paragraph:

"Trying to one-up George Zimmerman, Claudius Smith of Orlando recently shot and killed 21-year-old Ricardo Sanes, who was running away from Smith. Sanes had climbed the fence and gone into the neighbors' yard when Smith followed, shot, and killed him."

I then received a message about the blog, which said the comparison to the George Zimmerman case was ludicrous and that anytime such an event takes place, the blogosphere goes crazy with Zimmerman comparisons.

Due to this, I googled, "Claudius Smith" "George Zimmerman," and received 357 results in return (and the number is growing. Such crazy bloggers include the following:

The Huffington Post: "The case has some similarities to the murder trial of George Zimmerman, who shot Trayvon Martin to death in Sanford, just outside Orlando, in February 2012.

Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch member, was patrolling his gated community when he followed and shot the 17-year-old Martin. At first, police did not arrest Zimmerman because of the Stand Your Ground statute, but a national outcry led to a second investigation. That time, Zimmerman was arrested but a jury declared him not guilty.

Though Zimmerman's defense did not mention Stand Your Ground during its case, it did play a part in the judge's instructions to the jury, shortly before Zimmerman was acquitted."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/20/claudius-smith-shoots-burglar_n_4631639.html


CBS News: "The documents suggest the state’s controversial 'Stand Your Ground' statue could become a factor in the case, reports the paper. “Stand Your Ground” allows residents to respond with deadly force if they perceive their life to be in danger, but has been blasted by critics as encouraging a 'shoot first' mentality.

The jury that ultimately acquitted neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman in the controversial shooting death of unarmed teen Trayvon Martin was instructed to consider the statute as they deliberated Zimmerman’s fate."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/report-florida-man-claims-self-defense-in-fatal-shooting/


Orlando Sentinel: "The case may have some parallels to Central Florida's most notorious recent homicide: the fatal Sanford shooting of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin by neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman.

Zimmerman, who said Trayvon attacked and beat him before the fatal shot, was acquitted on a self-defense argument at trial.

Similarities range from attire — both Trayvon and Sanes wore hoodies — to the basis the shooters claimed for taking action: concern over recent burglaries. Both gunmen said they were attacked before firing."

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2014-01-17/news/os-metrowest-shooting-stand-your-ground-20140117_1_trayvon-martin-apartment-complex-metrowest


Fox News: "The case, local criminal lawyer Bill Sheaffer told the Sentinel, is 'fairly similar,' to that of George Zimmerman’s fatal shooting of an unarmed 17-year-old, Trayvon Martin, nearly two years ago. Zimmerman was acquitted at trial, although he did not seek immunity under Florida’s 'stand your ground' protection, which allows a Sunshine State citizen to respond with deadly force if they feel they are in imminent danger."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/01/18/fla-man-arrested-for-chasing-and-shooting-burglar-dead-claims-self-defense/

Perhaps the blogosphere isn't so crazy after all...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...