Skip to main content

The Iowa Republican Party mocks racism

With the Republican Party having such a bad week when it comes to their rebranding efforts in trying to appeal to more female voters, it seems only fitting that they slip up at least once with regard to minority voters.

On Friday, the Iowa Republican Party decided to post a flowchart on their Facebook page, mocking racism and how the GOP likes to claim liberals pull out the race card more than a 21-year-old with the face of a 16-year-old pulls out his or her ID when going to a bar called Gettin' Messed Up.

Up top on the flowchart are the words, "Is someone a racist?"

Directly underneath that question is another question - "Are they white?"

If the person answers no, then it says, "They are not racist."

If someone answers yes, the question below that reads, "Do you like them?"

With regard to whether or not you like the person, underneath no is, "They are racist," while if you answer yes, then it says, "They are not racist."

At the very bottom of the flowchart is this message: "Note: If you think this flowchart isn't funny, then this flowchart is racist."

Not too long ago, the GOP tweeted that racism was over. This feeds into the notion that many of them actually believe such a thing. This flowchart insinuates that liberals don't actually believe racism to be determined by a person's words, actions, and beliefs with regard to one or more races, but by whether or not that person is white and whether or not we like the person. This is, of course, a ridiculous assertion of the situation and to poke fun at it like the Iowa Republican Party has, only worsens the matter.

The Iowa Republican Party, and the GOP in general, need to attend a few lectures with regard to rebranding, and in particular, with regard to the sensitivities of women, minorities, homosexuals, and non-Christians (especially Muslims). There are racists among each and every race of people. However, the Iowa GOP may want to answer a few questions:

1) What race makes up the majority of the U.S. population?

2) What race was subject to slavery in this country's history?

3) Has racism affected certain groups of people more so than others in this country's history? If so, who? If not, what are you smoking?

4) Does racism still exist in contemporary society or did electing the first African-American president (out of 44 presidents) negate that possibility? If you agree with the latter, then once again, what are you smoking? I seriously want to know, so I know to stay away from it.

5) If you answered any of these questions in a facepalm-inducing manner, my question to you is, what is racism? Define it for me.

After reading this article, I suppose I have one final question for the GOP - how is that whole "rebranding" thing going for you?

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/01/25/3205601/iowa-gop-racism/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...