Skip to main content

Jim Harbaugh/Michael Crabtree vs. Richard Sherman - another reason why this story has been overblown

After the San Francisco 49ers' 23-20 Wild-Card victory over the Green Bay Packers three Sundays ago, 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh had a few things to say about his receiver Michael Crabtree. For the game, Crabtree caught eight passes for 125 yards and was a key factor in the Niners' victory.

Following his team's performance, Harbaugh said the following to the press:

"People talked about cold weather and it would be a tough-to-catch ball, but the greatest catcher of all time, Michael Crabtree, catches everything. It's unbelievable. In the northern snowlands down to the tropics and sunny scenes, he's catching the football. Wherever they throw a football, he'll be catching it."

That brings me to Richard Sherman's post-game comments after his Seattle Seahawks defeated Harbaugh's 49ers by the final score of 23-17. Sherman was once coached by Harbaugh at the University of Stanford, said this:

"I'm the best corner in the game. When you try me with a sorry receiver like Crabtree, that's the result you're going to get. Don't you ever talk about me. ... Don't you open your mouth about the best or I'm going to shut it for you real quick."

What Crabtree allegedly said to Sherman is unknown at this time, but that's besides the point. Jim Harbaugh referred to Michael Crabtree as the greatest pass catcher in the history of football and Richard Sherman made the play of the game on Sunday to prevent Crabtree from catching what would likely have been the game-winning touchdown, before calling himself the greatest cornerback in the league and referring to Crabtree as mediocre/sorry. Were Sherman's comments out of lockstep with how the league likes to present itself? Yes. However, let's put things into perspective. These men (Sherman, Harbaugh, Crabtree, and all other NFL players and coaches) are competitors and showmen - many of whom possess egos the size of their houses. Sherman's hyperbolic rhetoric as a possible counter to Harbaugh's hyperbolic rhetoric is about as shocking as a winter streaker going for a jog during the Polar Vortex and saying, "Dam*, it's cold!"  

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/10250258/jim-harbaugh-michael-crabtree-san-francisco-49ers-best-pass-catcher-all

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/01/richard-sherman-erin-andrews-interview/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...