Skip to main content

How men and women often times misunderstand one another's styles of communication

I was sent the following link, which I found to be interesting (said link can be found at the end of this post). It delves into the differences in communication styles between men and women, and judging from my own experiences and observations, it seems to be largely accurate.

Quite possibly the biggest problem when heterosexual couples communicate with one another isn't the communication itself, it's not understanding the other's communication style.

Ladies, when men don't give you direct eye contact when you're talking, this doesn't mean he's not listening. In fact, it could be a good indicator that he is listening. Let's face it, guys are easily distracted and when talking to a woman we find to be beautiful, if we look at her for too long, our minds will start to wander, before we wonder, "Wait... What was she talking about?" If we're looking away and appear to be focused, chances are we're listening. That is, unless our focus appears to be on a football game or a porno by the name of Get In The Hole.

Fellas, when women make listener-noise while you're speaking, this doesn't mean she's overreacting or being impatient. She's simply trying to illustrate that she's listening to you. If this listener-noise regularly includes the words, "What?" or "Huh?" however, then perhaps that's not the case.

Verbal communication is typically a very different beast for men and women. The important thing is for couples to try and learn more about one another's communication styles and be open about why they feel they're not being listened to or why they don't feel a certain level of emotional intimacy due to the misunderstandings in communication. If they can generate a greater understanding of how and why their partner communicates the way they do, are open about it, and their partner at least attempts to make some minor adjustments, then the misunderstandings will likely decrease, the emotional intimacy will likely increase, and the couples will be much happier as a result.

http://faculty.georgetown.edu/tannend/sexlies.htm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...