Skip to main content

What I learned in Week 2 of the NFL season

In Week 2 of the NFL season, I learned that...

- ..., in giving the ball away four times and getting penalized sixteen others for a total of 118 yards, San Francisco celebrates Christmas on September 14th of every year - for which the Chicago Bears are very thankful.

- ...Rex Ryan may give Marty Mornhinweg a series of timeouts for illegally calling a timeout against the Green Bay Packers, which negated a touchdown and may have potentially cost his team the game.

- ...Houston Texans coaches have laid out the following strategy for quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick - "Just don't be pick-six Schaub."

- ..."Donkey Kong" Suh won't be inviting Cam Newton over for a party anytime soon.

- ...New York Giants players and coaches are attempting to come up with new translations to the phrase "TO-prone Giants." To this point, the leading suggestions are: "Testicular overreach-prone Giants," "Tequila overdose-prone Giants," or "Touchdown...eh...something-prone Giants."

- ...the "Steel Curtain" in Pittsburgh is looking more like a tissue curtain nowadays.

- ...the New Orleans Saints have started the season 0-2 against teams that finished last year with a combined record of 8-24, so that's certainly something the 11-5 team from a year ago can hang their hats on...

- ...the Jacksonville Jaguars are in some serious trouble if quarterback Chad Henne, who carried the ball 3 times for 17 yards, is the team's leading rusher. Where's Elvis Grbac when you need him?

- ...all it takes is one road loss for people to call the defending Super Bowl champs pretenders, and even if they were to finish 15-1, their season would be all but done.

- ...the Detroit Lions run the ball like a mime runs his mouth - not very well...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...