Skip to main content

The irony of ESPN's Michael Sam obsession

ESPN appears to have a rather bad track record when it comes to their NFL man-crushes. First there was Tim Tebow. During his year as the starting quarterback of the Denver Broncos, ESPN couldn't get enough of him. It even reached a point when I felt ESPN should change their name to ETPN, with "Tebow" replacing "Sports." Oddly enough, the former Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback has played in less NFL games than I've played games on the Atari (and no, I've never owned one). Then came Johnny Manziel, and while the rookie quarterback will likely start at some point in his career for the Cleveland Browns, he'll be riding the bench to at least start this season. Michael Sam is the latest man-crush for ESPN. Unfortunately for him, he didn't make the St. Louis Rams' 53-man roster and failed to make their 10-man practice squad as well.

In light of this bit of news, Ross Tucker of the NBC Sports Network tweeted, "Michael Sam performed much better than most expected and still isn't even on a practice squad?"

Buffalo Bills center Eric Wood then responded, "blame that on espn. No one wants the distraction"

Oddly enough, I wonder if Wood has a point, and it would quite sad if that were indeed the case. How ironic it would be that ESPN obsesses over a player and his story to the point when a team won't sign him because they want to avoid ESPN obsessing over this player and his story. ESPN would be, in essence, talking about the potential first openly gay player to play in the NFL to such an extent, they would prevent the first openly gay player from playing in the NFL.

Like Ross Tucker said, though, Sam did perform quite well in the pre-season, so hopefully another team gives him a chance, despite ESPN's obsession.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/01/michael-sam-espn-eric-wood_n_5749774.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...