Skip to main content

The Big Ten may want to change their name to the Little Ten (in football anyway)

After their awful showing a week ago, where Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State were outscored 112-48 against Notre Dame, Oregon, and Virginia Tech (as well as Purdue and Northwestern losing to MAC teams), it seemed as if things could only go up from there for the Big Ten, but given this past weekend's performance by the conference, that apparently wasn't the case.

Before this weekend, the Big Ten was a combined 1-5 (.167) against the other power 5 conferences (and Notre Dame). They'd also lost to two MAC teams. How did they perform against such clubs this weekend?

West Virginia 40 Maryland 37 (0-1)

Iowa State 20 Iowa 17 (0-2)

TCU 30 Minnesota 7 (0-3)

Washington 44 Illinois 19 (0-4)

Notre Dame 30 Purdue 14 (0-5)

Also, Bowling Green defeated Indiana 45-42 (third MAC team to beat a Big Ten team in the past two weeks)

So, to this point in the season, the Big Ten is 1-10 (.091) against the other four power conferences (and Notre Dame), with only seven other such contests left on the slate pre-bowl season. These games include:

1) Indiana at Missouri (likely loss)

2) Iowa at Pittsburgh (likely loss)

3) Maryland at Syracuse (toss-up)

4) Utah at Michigan (leaning win)

5) Miami (Florida) at Nebraska (leaning win)

6) Cincinnati at Ohio State (leaning win)

7) Northwestern at Notre Dame (likely loss)

Even if the Big Ten were to go unbeaten in these seven games (which is highly unlikely), they'd finish 8-10 (.444) against such competition this season (pre-bowls). If they go 3-4 or 4-3, which is much more likely, they'd finish either 4-14 (.222) or 5-13 (.278) against such competition.

After three weeks, there are only two unbeatens left in the Big Ten conference - Nebraska and Penn State, neither of whom were ranked in the AP top 25 this past week. The conference is 1-10 against the other power 5 conferences (and Notre Dame), with their most impressive such victory (their only victory) coming via Big Ten newcomer Rutgers against winless Washington State. Yes, the conference may be called the "Big" Ten, but to this point in the season, they've appeared to be anything but that, and may want to alter their name to a much more fitting title - the Little Ten.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/scoreboard?confId=5&seasonYear=2014&seasonType=2&weekNumber=3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...