Skip to main content

A pointless "Redskins" poll

According to a new survey conducted by NFL Nation reporters, of 286 players whom were asked whether or not the Washington Redskins needed to change their name during the off-season and training camp, while 42% of them said yes (167), 58% of them said no (119).

The reporters also asked 51 Washington Redskins players the same question, of which 26 responded with a no, 1 responded with a yes, and 24 didn't respond at all.

This is a rather pointless poll - especially with regard to the Washington Redskins players. There are approximately 1,696 players in the NFL, so 286 represents just 16.9% of the league. Also, it's not as if this is a general election year and it'd be virtually impossible to ask every person in this country for whom they'll likely vote. There are 1,696 players in the league, so it would be very possible to survey everyone and garner a better idea of how the league's players feel about the matter. As far as the Redskins players are concerned, their owner - Daniel Snyder - has been adamant in his defense of the team's nickname this off-season. He's even gone so far as to say that the name is basically honoring Native Americans. So, of course players on the team aren't going to say the name should be changed, and it's quite telling that nearly half of those surveyed refused to answer the question.

Regardless of the numbers, though, popular opinion doesn't really dictate right from wrong. It can dictate what people feel is right or wrong, but it is not a definitive measure. Back in the day, if a similar poll were released regarding the use of the "N" word, and 58% of the people said it wasn't offensive, that wouldn't make it so. It'd simply show what people thought of it, and as history has indicated time and time again, people's opinions change and evolve. It wasn't too long ago that a large majority of this country disapproved of gay marriage, yet now, a majority of this country approves it. No matter what percentage of players in the league feel that the Washington Redskins shouldn't change their name, that can't detract from the fact that the term "Redskins" is derogatory and shouldn't be used by a large, powerful organization (or any organization) to represent a group of people.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11452022/nfl-nation-confidential-majority-players-support-washington-redskins-nickname

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...