Skip to main content

My semi-hypocritical tournament selection stance

While hypocrisy does bother me a great deal, I'd be lying if I said I was never a hypocrite. Chances are each and every one of us has been hypocritical at one point in our lives or another. So, when I say I can't stand hypocrites, to not sound hypocritical in saying that, I'm just referring to those whom are hypocritical so frequently, people are often times shocked when they're actually consistent.

In saying that, I find myself being slightly hypocritical when it comes to the tournament selection for March Madness.

After the field of 68 was announced last night, I overheard ESPN basketball analysts Dick Vitale and Jay Bilas debating one another about which teams belonged in the tournament.

Dick Vitale stood up for the little guy (Murray State in this case) and basically said, "It's all about winning games! Murray State won 25 in a row at one point! They went three months without a loss! I mean, are you kidding me?!? It's about winning games, baby! How can you deny these kids the shot at going to the tournament when all they did was win games?!? That's not right and that's not fair!"

Jay Bilas then went in the I'm-a-dick-lawyer-but-am-thinking-with-my-mind-and-not-my-heart route, basically saying, "If LSU played Murray State on a neutral court, are you telling me you think Murray State would win? Is that what you're saying? Are you seriously saying that? That's what I thought! Case dismissed!"

While I can understand Jay Bilas' argument, I tend to side with Dick Vitale on the matter, which is contrary to my position in college football. In the current college football playoff format, I want the four very best, most deserving teams to battle it out for the right to the national championship. In college basketball, though, sure, I want the best of the best to be in the tournament, however, when it comes to the bottom few slots, I'd much rather see the Colorado States, Temples, and Murray States than 18-13 power conference teams like UCLA, Oklahoma State, and Indiana. If we want to speculate how these teams would fare against one another on a neutral court, chances are we'd typically side with the power conference teams. This is largely due to the fact that week in and week out, they were forced to play tougher in-conference competition than the mid-major schools, and given a couple of decent wins against such competition, they were better able to prove they can compete against good, tournament-caliber competition than the mid-major schools. However, while this may all be true, the mid-major teams didn't have nearly as many opportunities to prove themselves against tournament-caliber opponents as the major conference teams, so if a major conference team is on the bubble, this means they often times failed against tournament-caliber competition - so why should we reward them with yet another opportunity instead of providing a mid-major team with AN opportunity? 

UCLA finished 11-7  (20-13 overall) in a very mediocre Pac-12 conference, where their lone "impressive" win was a home victory against Utah in the mid part of the season. LSU and Mississippi were both 11-7 in a rather mediocre SEC conference (22-10, 20-12 overall, respectively). The Big XII was more respected than the two before-mentioned conferences, yet both Texas and Oklahoma State finished 8-10 in conference play and 20-13 and 18-13 overall, respectively. Indiana was 9-9 in Big Ten play and 20-13 overall. The Big Ten may be seen as one of the better conferences overall, but failed to live up to expectations this season. These big name schools didn't prove through the course of the regular season that they deserved to be in the NCAA Tournament. Sure, if LSU was paired up with Murray State on a neutral court, the odds would suggest that LSU would come away with the victory. However, LSU, like UCLA, Mississippi, Oklahoma State, Texas, and Indiana, had numerous opportunities to prove to the college basketball world that they belonged in the field of 68, without any ifs, ands, or buts about it. They failed to do that, so it doesn't make a great deal of sense to me to reward them with yet another opportunity over a team like Colorado State, Temple, or Murray State, whom all had much better records than them and simply just want to be given AN opportunity. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...