Skip to main content

Hindsight is 20/20, even in college football...

Being born and raised in the Cornhusker state that is Nebraska, I know all about college football teams' rampant fans hollering for head coaching changes when their team doesn't reach their typically unrealistic expectations. After the Cornhuskers finished their 2017 campaign at a disappointing 4-8, it was all but inevitable a change would again be made. This will be their 5th different head coach over the past 14 years. Oddly enough, Nebraska's head coaching version of musical chairs started in 2003, after Frank Solich led the team to a 9-3 season, the best record the team's had in the past 14 years. So, in hindsight, perhaps Nebraska pulled the trigger a bit too quickly on firing Solich. That got me to thinking about other such institutions who haven't been as successful in recent years as they had been under a particular coach previously. Here's how those numbers pan out. I'll start with the program which has experienced the lowest drop-off in terms of winning percentage:

15) East Carolina
Steve Logan ( '92-'02): 69-58 (.543)
Post-Steve Logan ('03-'17): 88-99 (.471)
Difference: .072

14) Fresno State
Pat Hill ('97-'11): 112-80 (.583)
Post-Pat Hill ('12-'17): 38-37 (.507)
Difference: .076

13) Southern Mississippi
Jeff Bower ('90 -'07): 119-83 (.561)
Post-Jeff Bower ('08-'17): 61-65 (.484)
Difference: .077

12) Nebraska
Frank Solich ('98-'03): 58-19 (.753)
Post-Frank Solich ('04-'17): 112-68 (.622)
Difference: .131

11) Texas Tech
Mike Leach ('00-'09): 84-43 (.661)
Post-Mike Leach ('10-'17): 51-48 (.515)
Difference: .146

10) Texas A&M
R.C. Slocum ('89-'02): 123-47 (.724)
Post-R.C. Slocum ('03-'17): 108-80 (.574)
Difference: .150

9) Michigan
Lloyd Carr ('95-'07): 122-40 (.753)
Post-Lloyd Carr ('08-'17): 74-51 (.592)
Difference: .161

8) California
Jeff Tedford ('02-'12): 82-57 (.590)
Post-Jeff Tedford ('13-'17): 24-36 (.400)
Difference: .190

7) Maryland
Ralph Friedgen ('01-'10): 75-50 (.600)
Post-Ralph Friedgen ('11-'17): 33-53 (.384)
Difference: .216

6) Tennessee
Phillip Fulmer ('92-'08): 152-52 (.745)
Post-Phillip Fulmer ('09-'17): 57-55 (.509)
Difference: .236

5) Purdue
Joe Tiller ('97-'08): 87-62 (.584)
Post-Joe Tiller ('09-'17): 36-73 (.330)
Difference: .254

4) Hawaii
June Jones ('99-'07): 76-41 (.650)
Post-June Jones ('08-'17): 50-79 (.388)
Difference: .262

3) Syracuse
Paul Pasqualoni ('91-'04): 107-59 (.645)
Post-Paul Pasqualoni ('05-'17): 57-100 (.363)
Difference: .282

2) Texas
Mack Brown ('98-'13): 158-48 (.767)
Post-Mack Brown ('14-'17): 21-27 (.438)
Difference: .329

1) Kansas
Mark Mangino ('02-'09): 50-48 (.510)
Post-Mark Mangino ('10-'17): 15-80 (.158)
Difference: .352

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...