Skip to main content

Republicans attempt to spin the fourth and final debate

As is always the case post-debate, both campaigns are attempting to spin things in their favor to the media. This is a much more difficult task for the Romney camp than the Obama one, since most sane people with an average IQ or better believe Obama won the debate and quite handily at that.

Among undecided voters, a CBS snap poll showcased that 53% felt Obama won, while only 23% thought Governor Romney did.

According to a CNN snap poll, the margin was smaller, but Obama still won by the final count of 48% to 40%. The sample leaned Republican by five points, so when taking that into consideration, Obama's victory was closer to 13%.

In a PPP poll of swing state voters, Obama won by the final of 53% to 42%.

If we don't even include the weighting for the bias in the CNN poll, the three polls average out to about a 16-point victory for the president.

So, how are Republicans attempting to spin the debate in Romney's favor? By saying things like the following:

"Romney looked presidential."

"Romney was calm, while Obama was on the attack."

"Romney didn't make a big mistake, which makes the debate a draw."

"Romney made himself appear to be a viable alternative."

The spin, to me, has translated as follows: "Mitt didn't mess up a great deal, so therefore he wins!"

Nice try, but I'm afraid things don't work like that. If that were the case, wouldn't the Romney camp have declared Obama the winner of the first debate? He played things very cautiously, attempted to look calm and presidential and not only did conservatives declare that their candidate dominated, but many liberals stated they were disappointed by the president's performance. I personally felt that debate was a draw, but not because Obama was mistake-free. It was because I felt while on style, Romney definitely won, Obama won with substance and in my mind, substance is of greater importance than style. However, I realize a majority in the electorate are not of the same opinion as I and believe style is of greater importance than substance, so when it comes to the eye-test, Romney was seen as the victor to most people.

In staying consistent, I don't understand how Republicans can truly feel that Romney won with regard to the eye-test in last night's debate. President Obama was more aggressive, attempted to differentiate himself from Romney as much as he could and on a couple occasions, made the former Massachusetts Governor appear more clueless than a 2-year old walking by his lonesome in downtown New York City. Romney appeared lost, nervous, uncomfortable and tentative. He didn't go after Obama on Libya. Whenever he found an opening to change the subject, he did just that - to the economy mostly. The guy did not want to talk about foreign policy and why? Because it became painfully obvious after about a minute of hearing him speak that he was less educated on that front than I am on ballet dancing. Republicans can say all they want that Romney appeared presidential. All I have to say to that is if their idea of looking presidential is a clueless two-year old walking through downtown New York, sweating more than Serena Williams after playing ten consecutive hours of tennis, then Mitt Romney looked like the most presidential candidate the world has ever  known. Good luck with that, and somebody get that little boy a taxi!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...