Skip to main content

AFA (American Family Association or...)

The conservative evangelical group American Family Association is at it again - "it" meaning being completely nuts. Yes, they are speaking out against a school program called "Mix It Up at Lunch Day" and asking parents to boycott it by keeping their children home from school that day - October 30th.

This is the 11th year that this day has taken place. It was started by the Southern Poverty Law Center 11 years ago, with the intent being to break kids from their social cliques for lunch that afternoon - to sit and talk to someone or a group of kids they normally wouldn't to hopefully decrease the level of bullying that was taking place. I know - this sounds like a very controversial event, doesn't it?

According to the American Family Association, it is. The AFA sees far beyond what I'm seeing as the actual intent of "Mix It Up at Lunch Day," for according to them, it's about "a nationwide push to promote homosexual lifestyle in public schools." No, I'm not making this up.

Bryan Fischer, director of issue analysis for the American Family Association, continued with these lovely words - "The reality is we are not a hate group. We are a truth group. We tell the truth about homosexual behavior."

I'm a "truth group" too - AFA should no longer stand for American Family Association. It should stand for Angry F**king A**holes. Do these demented imbeciles not realize that gays aren't the only ones who get bullied? Race, gender, social class, height, weight, glasses, intelligence, attire, demeanor, personality, religion, political affiliation, family, friends, the list, much like the Energizer bunny, keeps going and going and going.

I have a question for the AFA - was Jesus not about kindness, love, acceptance, forgiveness and generosity?  When it comes to schools trying to prevent kids from bullying others with the annual program "Mix It Up at Lunch Day," what do you think Jesus would have to say about that?

Oh, that's right, Jesus said in the book of Matthew 22:7, "I love everyone and especially love when kids push, tease and bully each other - those pussies."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/15/evangelical-group-urges-p_n_1967785.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...