Skip to main content

Debating with the brainwashed

Of course, in light of the presidential debate being aired live last night, many people felt the need to let their thoughts on it be known via Facebook statuses. A very good friend of mine let her thoughts be known, which I agreed with, but which a friend of her's didn't care for too much.

Toward the end of his two early posts, he said, "Obamacare is what scares me."

In response, I asked the question, "What about Obamacare scares you exactly?"

He responded with, "The list is too long to go through. I don't have the time to explain the bill to you."

Yes, he sounded exactly like Paul Ryan right there when responding to Fox News' Chris Wallace when being asked about the Romney/Ryan tax plan. "It would take too much time to explain!" Sure it would...

So I then called the guy out on his nonsense and pointed out that I didn't appreciate his condescending tone. He then said he wasn't going to get into this "childish" debate with me.

I finally said, "If you didn't want to run the risk of getting into a 'childish' debate, why did you let your political thoughts be known? Didn't you realize you'd run the chance of someone inquiring as to why you felt the way you said you did and if you did happen to provide reasons, of being fact-checked?"

When someone goes about a political "debate" like this guy did, the fact is they don't know what they're talking about. He claims he doesn't have enough time to go through all the reasons he's frightened of Obamacare? Nonsense. He had time to make 5+ comments, including stating that he's scared of Obamacare. If he had all that time on his hands to make multiple comments like he did, I find it incredibly difficult to believe he didn't have time to provide even just one reason Obamacare makes him tremble in fear.  Chances are he doesn't know why Obamacare scares him. The guy has decided he's Republican, voting for Romney, has been told to be frightened of Obamacare and that's about as far as it goes. He just didn't have the time (supposedly) of Googling Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Ted Nugent or Jesus' comments on Obamacare, so he attempted to try and come across as intelligent and tough by being condescending, when he wound up just making himself appear to be ignorant.

People can try all they'd like to come across as intelligent and tough when making their political opinions be known, but if when they're asked to elaborate on why they feel the way they do, they provide nothing of substance and instead attempt to cast the other person in a weak and ignorant light, the only one they're truly casting in such a light is themselves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...