Skip to main content

Election changes the GOP would like to see made

After losing their second consecutive presidential election, I've heard many Republicans either lay down excuses as to why they lost ("If it hadn't have been for Hurricane Sandy, then...") or make suggestions on how they can win in the future.

One suggestion I've heard floating around and which was written about in the right-leaning National Review is that Republicans should push for more states to go by the congressional-district model as opposed to the winner-take-all one. In this very model or some version of it, Romney would have won in two of the three possible scenarios. Romney would have won, despite losing by a little less than five-million votes to Obama - losing to the president by around 3.5%.

Yeah, that would make a lot of sense. It would have been one thing if Mitt Romney won the popular vote in November, yet lost in the electoral college, and Republicans decided to push legislation on altering the electoral college to a popular vote contest. I could have understood that. However, when their nominee lost by nearly five-million votes and 3.5 percentage points nationwide, it makes absolutely no sense to skew the electoral model to rewarding the nominee on the short-end of that equation. While we're at it, let's reward home teams in football games 12 points for a touchdown as opposed to 6, 6 points for a field goal, 4 points for a safety, and 2 points for an extra point. That way, if the home team loses, it will be because they REALLY deserved it.

The Republican Party - the party defending our freedoms, unless we don't agree with them. The Republican Party - critical of rewarding kids with trophies for participating in elementary school competitions, yet willing to hand the largest trophy in the land to the losing nominee of a presidential election.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/337076/how-romney-could-have-won-katrina-trinko#

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/01/08/1177308/-NRO-Romney-would-have-won-if-we-had-just-changed-the-rules

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...