Skip to main content

Louis Gohmert compares guns to hammers

I'm loving this gun control debate more and more, because more and more Republican members of Congress are making such asinine statements, that it's really making them look like complete tools and through that, giving more credence to gun control advocates. Speaking of tools, let me introduce Republican Congressman from the state of Texas, Louis Gohmert.

On the Dennis Miller Show, Gohmert was asked to give his opinion on assault weapons in response to a rising number of Democrats clamoring that they should be banned.

To this question, Gohmert responded with this:

"I refuse to play the game of 'assault weapon.' That's any weapon. It's a hammer. It's the machetes. In Rwanda that killed 800,000 people, an article that came out this week, the massive number that are killed with hammers."

Republican talking heads and members of Congress have traveled many different avenues with this gun control debate. "Hammers" is just the latest crazy comparison which is being made. What is a hammer designed to do? Will we ever hear about 20+ deaths related to a mall hammer spree in the future? Will there ever come a time when people need their background checked for wanting the new, top-of-the-line, hottest hammer in the country? I don't think so. While hammers can certainly inflict pain upon another and even kill that person, that's not what they're designed to do. Guns, on the other hand, are designed to fire a bullet at a great speed, and through that, inflict harm and/or kill the person or thing at which one is aiming. Comparing assault rifles to hammers is like comparing rocket launchers to fingernail clippers. While clippers can be used to harm another, it's not what they're designed to do, and call me crazy, but if two people were squaring off - one with a rocket launcher and the other with a fingernail clipper - my money would be on the rocket launcher.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/01/04/1399921/louie-gohmert-hammers/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...