Skip to main content

A worthless study on the link between eye color and trustworthiness

I for one love research, love studies; I just love learning. However, every now and again, a study comes along where I feel the need to cry out the word "why?" A recently released Czech study is one such case.

About three weeks ago, a Czech study revealed the following finding - men with brown eyes are viewed as more trustworthy than those with blue eyes. Yes, this was the lone finding.

The study's researcher - Karel Kleisner - had this to say with regard to the findings (well, finding - it's singular): "Eye color is something superficial, and nobody would expect there is a deeper association with the structure of the bones. We were a little bit surprised."

I guess my question is, what about people with green eyes, black eyes, hazel eyes, etc.? Why was the study focused on just blue and brown eyes? Congratulations - we now know that people with brown eyes are more trusted (for whatever reason) than those with blue eyes. We still don't know how they compare with the multiple other potential eye colors. Yeah, in my estimation, this was a completely worthless study.

This study's finding reminds me of the following findings from make-believe studies I've concocted in my noggin:

- People prefer a periwinkle-colored crayon to a jungle green one.

- The shape of footballs is preferable to the shape of softballs.

- Men with buzz-cuts are seen as more attractive than men with mullets.

- Caucasians are viewed as paler than African-Americans.

- Donald Trump is seen as sexier than a trash-bag.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/09/brown-eyed-men-trustworthy_n_2443050.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...