Skip to main content

Pat Robertson lends women some marriage advice

Just recently, televangelist and sex appeal expert in his own mind - Pat Robertson, said the following on his show - 700 Club, with regard to marriage problems:

"A woman came to a preacher that I know, and she was awful looking. I mean, her hair was all torn up and she was overweight and looked terrible, clothes bad and everything. And she said, 'Oh, Reverend, what can I do? My husband has started to drink.' And the preacher looked at her and said, 'Madam, if I was married to you I'd start to drink too.' We need to cultivate romance, darling! ... You always have to keep that spark of love alive. It just isn't something to just lie there, 'Well, I'm married to him so he's got to take me slatternly looking.' You've got to fix yourself up, look pretty."

To his credit, Robertson knows a thing or two about being physically appealing, for he was named sexiest current host of 700 Club with the first name of Pat and last name of Robertson. It was quite an honor, I'm sure.

While I agree that maintaining a certain level of attraction is important for a couple in a long-term relationship, why in Robertson's mind, does the onus lie solely with the women in these relationships? Shouldn't the responsibility be just as much with the man to try and appeal to his girlfriend/wife as it is with the woman to do the same? Granted, studies show that physical attraction is more important to males than females, generally speaking. However, it doesn't seem fair or right to me for the woman to go out of her way and do everything in her power to be attractive to her husband/boyfriend, all the while the man sits on the couch, drinks beer, and watches football.

Relationships require teamwork, compromise, good communication and understanding, etc. While in Robertson's pre-historic mind, he may still see men as the superior of the two sexes and feel that women are just there to serve their men and please them, I'm sorry to inform him the times have changed a little. Women are going to college at a greater clip than men. Before long, they'll make up a majority of the workforce. Stay-at-home dads will likely become more commonplace in the coming years. One day, a woman will become President of the United States. I sincerely hope Robertson is alive at that time. I'd love to see the look on that guy's face when a woman is announced as the winner of a presidential election. I'm guessing there would be a 50/50 chance he'd suffer a heart attack when hearing the announcement. The following day's headline would read, "Robertson's final words were, 'That ugly bi**h!'"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/15/pat-robertson-blames-awful-looking-women-marriage-problems_n_2479459.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...