Skip to main content

Media now obsessed with Te'o's brief lie in an attempt to excuse themselves

The media in general, especially the sports media, is doing everything in its power to rid themselves of any responsibility with regard to the Manti Te'o story.

On Thursday, Te'o's interview with Katie Couric will air, where the former Notre Dame linebacker admits to briefly lying about his "girlfriend." He had been informed that she died of leukemia in September, but received a strange phone call on December 6th from "her" (supposedly). While he allegedly informed family and the school about the call, he lied a couple days later at the Heisman Trophy ceremony when asked about her. I'm not going to say that lying about it was morally right. However, what was the guy supposed to do? Here's a 21-year old college kid - one of the finalists for the most coveted award in all of college football - who thought his "girlfriend" had died of leukemia two months prior, only to be called by this "girlfriend" two days before the ceremony. Was he to just tell the millions of people watching, "Well, the truth is that I just heard from this girl two days ago. Something's not right. I don't know what it is, but I think I may have been scammed. I'm not thinking this girl was ever actually real and I was part of a big, sick prank." Really? Does the media seriously think any person would do this, especially a 21-year old college football linebacker at the University of Notre Dame, who is likely embarrassed about having an online relationship in general, let alone being pranked by this very person?

The media is doing everything they possibly can to lay the full blame on Te'o for the hoax, for being extremely gullible in believing this hoax, and for the story to have been reported for almost the entire college football season all the way through the national championship game.

No matter how hard the media tries to rid itself of any responsibility in this case, however, the fact remains that Manti Te'o's "job" was a student and football player at Notre Dame. He seems like a trusting person - too trusting perhaps - who got sucked in by someone online, when that person's only intent was to prank the star linebacker. The media's job is to research stories, to investigate them, garner credible sources, and make certain there's validity to a story before spreading it to millions of readers, watchers, and listeners. They didn't do that. So they can blame Te'o all they want that he was gullible, naive, and dishonest. Te'o's only real job was to go to class and play football. The media's job was to research the claims and report the facts and at that, they failed miserably.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...