Skip to main content

Insensitive Facebook comments follow the George Zimmerman ruling

I've been a tad confused in recent days since George Zimmerman was found not guilty in the Trayvon Martin case.

Many people whom believe Zimmerman should have been found guilty of at least manslaughter seem to think Zimmerman's actions were at least partially motivated by racism. So in response to the jury's ruling this past Saturday night, I've read many articles and social networking posts from far-right conservatives regarding other murders which involved an element of racism and claiming that these murders and the element of racism in them were far worse than in the case of George Zimmerman killing Trayvon Martin.

I'm not here to say which way I lean on whether or not Zimmerman's following and killing of Martin was at least partially influenced by racism. However, I do think it's quite ridiculous for people to write and post about these other murders and basically say, "You see? Zimmerman wasn't too bad. Look at what this guy did! Now that's racism right there!"

What does that prove? Absolutely nothing. These are living, breathing humans' lives we're talking about here and some people are comparing them just to try and make a political point, or so they think. I honestly don't even know what that political point is they're trying to make.

We can spin the stories as much as we'd like, but the fact remains Trayvon Martin is dead. These other murder victims which have been posted about are dead. These victims' friends and families will forever be haunted by their loves ones' demise. I find it incredibly insensitive to compare these murder victims as if they're pawns in chess. Whether a person believes George Zimmerman should have been found guilty or not is irrelevant. Trayvon Martin is still dead. The least we can do is show a little respect to all those grieving from this tragedy and the elongated, emotionally-draining process which ended on Saturday night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...