Skip to main content

Conservatives respond to President Obama's Trayvon Martin speech

One has to love the comments made by conservative talking heads in light of President Obama's speech this past weekend regarding Trayvon Martin's death

Here now are some of those very comments, along with my responses to them:

Fox News' Todd Starnes:

"Obama's comments today justify what I said on Hannity earlier this week. He truly is trying to tear our country apart."

By admitting there's racism in this country? Was Martin Luther King trying to tear the country apart also with his "I have a dream" speech?


Conservative blogger Dan Riehl:

"If you ever had any doubts, Obama is the first Racist in Chief"

Yes, Congressional Republicans have continually been trying to make voting rights more difficult to come by for minorities, yet President Obama is the racist for simply discussing the topic.


Breitbart.com editor-in-chief Ben Shapiro:

"Obama helped ignite this ginned up racial melee by saying his son would look like Trayvon. Now he says he could have been Trayvon."

This is all to be taken literally too, just like every word in the Bible...


Fox News contributor Tammy Bruce:

"So Obama 'could have been' Trayvon 35 years ago? I had no idea Obama sucker-punched a watch volunteer & then bashed his head in. Who knew?"

Yes, 35 years ago, the president was walking home one day, got followed by a man, felt threatened by this, so he defended himself, only to be shot and killed by this man, whose self-defense is apparently of greater importance than the president's in this scenario.


Conservative talk show host Dana Loesch:

"It's a combo protest diversion from scandals and attempt to weaken laws protecting rights to self defense."

Right, because it was self-defense which drove George Zimmerman to follow an unarmed Trayvon Martin, that ended in Zimmerman shooting and killing Martin. That was all "self defense."


Former Illinois Representative Joe Walsh:

"President Obama is making this all about race. All. About. Race."

These talking heads are making it all about ignorance and denial.


Breitbart.com writer Joel Pollak:

"Obama backs the race-baiters on the eve of Sharptonpalooza. Identity politics above all. Shameful. #Zimmerman #Trayvon #CouldveBeenMe"

...and Republicans believe in overturning the Supreme Court ruling on the Voting Rights Act. Wait - no, nevermind...


Republican strategist Brian Walsh:

"Remarkable that the President of the United States continues to fan the flames on George Zimmerman. #StopTalkingSir"

Poor George with these darn people fanning the flames on him. If only Trayvon Martin knew what that felt like - you know, after being shot and killed by Mr. Zimmerman.


Right Sphere senior fellow RB pundit:

"Obama said he could have been Trayvon. How many hispanic heads has Obama bashed into concrete?"

None, but he has been followed by people thinking he was suspicious looking, felt threatened and defended himself. Fortunately, he wasn't shot and killed following such instances.


Radio personality Hugh Hewitt:

"This POTUS presser is remarkable...like he fell through the Time Tunnel to his state senate days"

Just like many contemporary Republicans appear to have fallen through the time tunnel to the 1850s.


Conservative columnist David Limbaugh:

"Did Trayvon commit assault w/ intent to kill? Do we have to overlook, even glorify that in lamenting his death? Yet Obama identifies w/ him?"

Do we have to overlook the fact that Trayvon Martin was unarmed, yet was followed due to him appearing "suspicious?"


Fox News via Huffington Post's Luke Johnson:

"Fox News Q: 'Is the president easing racial tension or stoking racial tension?"

He was simply talking about race. Talking about one's issues or potential issues is a good thing, so that we can hopefully make the necessary changes to improve on the matters. Of course, to people like Mr. Johnson, admitting there are any problems in this country is unpatriotic, anti-American propaganda.


Breitbart.com's John Nolte:

"I like living in a country where a black president elected twice complains about racism."

Yes, because having one mixed-race president after 43 white ones means that racism no longer exists in this country. With this kind of logic, just because of one honest politician, this means that political corruption no longer exists!

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/07/19/2330191/conservative-freakout-race-speech/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...