Skip to main content

A well written Columbus Dispatch letter-to-the-editor

As regular readers should know by now, I'm often critical of the Columbus Dispatch, which letters-to-the-editor they publish, and their often times misleading headlines with regard to said letters. However, I came across one letter today which I found to be well written, interesting, thought-provoking, and felt the need to share it.

The letter was written by Kevin Gainer of Westerville, entitled "Religion has been wired in our brains," and reads as follows:

"The overwhelming coverage lately of religion and terror prompts me to write. It’s no coincidence that I have never read a headline “Atheist terror group kills dozens.”

Atheists, as well as agnostics, are for the most part not susceptible to the type and degree of religious brainwashing that leads to mass terror attacks. It is at the end of such brainwashing, albeit often in combination with other defects of the mind, that we have witnessed religious terror for thousands of years.

Even fancifully, one might think that in the present scientific era, religious terror could be eliminated by converting everyone to atheism. But science and objective reality reveal that the mental process underpinning faith in a religion of any sort is simply an artifact of evolution.

Consequently — this is the unfortunate reality that we all have to deal with — religious beliefs, even as they are patently illogical and insubstantial, are not a removable aspect of human affairs. The bottom line is we truly have here not only a serious conundrum but a problem in human affairs for which there is no known global or enduring solution."

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/editorials/2015/12/16/1-religion-has-been-wired.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...