Skip to main content

I'm not pro-Islam, anti-Christianity; I'm anti-double-standard, pro-consistency

Many Christian conservatives and even atheist liberals complain that progressives like myself are inconsistent when it comes to our views and defenses of religion. They often times say, "You guys have a double-standard, where you openly mock and criticize Christianity, but oddly defend Islam. Look at how Muslim countries treat women!"

I, for one, am not a big fan of organized religion. I was raised in a Christian household, regularly attended a nondenominational church with my mother and brother growing up, yet reached a point in my teenage years where I could no longer espouse myself to the typically sexist, anti-LGBT, anti-progressive rhetoric. The pastor's sermons started sounding progressively more like a Rush Limbaugh rant and it turned me off from the Christian faith, and honestly, organized religion altogether. Through my high school years, college, and even after, I found myself still oddly fascinated by the concept of religion. I read books about: Christianity, Satanism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Jehovah's Witnesses, Christian Science, Mormonism, Seventh-Day Adventism, Taoism, etc. I took college courses centering around world religions, even one which was called, "Philosophy of Religion." Through it all, I never found a religion which suited my ideals and compelled me enough to regularly attend services, however, it still fascinates me, and whether or not I agree with one's religious views, I feel they should be able to freely believe in and worship as they so choose.

Having said that, when I defend Muslims' rights in this country, I'm not defending how some Muslim-dominated countries treat women, just like when I defend Christians' rights in this country, I'm not defending how some Christian-nominated nations treat homosexuals. It sickens me how women are treated in some Middle Eastern countries. It sickens me how homosexuals are treated in some African countries. Heck, even though the United States has progressed far more than those nations when it comes to women's and LGBT rights, it still sickens me how they're treated here at times. When I mock and criticize Christianity, it's not because I don't believe Christians should be afforded 1st Amendment rights like everyone else; it's because that's the faith most practiced in this country and many Christians seem to feel they should be afforded more rights than those of any other faith, Muslims in particular.

I simply want for us to be more consistent, to cut it out with the double-standards. When a radical Christian opened fire on a Planned Parenthood facility in Colorado Springs, Colorado a couple of weeks ago, while his actions shouldn't be seen as representative of the religion or its followers, neither should the Muslims who opened fire in San Bernardino, California last week. Like Christians when it comes to building churches, Muslims shouldn't have to jump through extra hoops to build mosques. Just like Christians aren't often prejudged in this country for their faith, neither should Muslims be, or people of any other faith. I don't believe in special privileges for any particular demographic; I believe in equality. Granting the LGBT community marriage rights isn't a sign of privilege; it's a sign of equality. Providing women equal pay for equal work isn't about privilege; it's about equality. Affording Muslims equal protections under the 1st Amendment of the Constitution isn't a special privilege; it's equality. I may not be female, black, gay, nor religious, yet I will continue to fight for each and every person to attain equal rights under the law, for if one of our American brothers or sisters lacks this equality, what does the American flag and the Star-Spangled Banner actually symbolize?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...