Skip to main content

Kentucky Senator Rand Paul flip-flops on his 13-hour filibuster

Remember that big drone controversy surrounding President Obama? Last month, the Obama Administration said it was theoretically possible, as well as legal, for the president to order a drone strike on an American citizen under, and I quote, "extraordinary circumstances." The administration then elaborated some on this statement by saying the president didn't possess this authority if the American citizen was "not engaged in combat."

Ever since I saw the headlines and read the reports, while I understood some Congresspeople's concerns, as well as non-politicians', I thought things were getting blown out-of-proportion. It seemed quite clear that these hypothetical drone strikes on American citizens would only occur if the person was a member of a terrorist organization and engaged in combat. It's not like the president was saying, "Ever since I embarrassed myself bowling that one time, I really hate the sport. Let's drone strike bowling alleys across this country starting tomorrow."

In any case, many Republicans in Congress went after the president for these hypothetical scenarios where the president could order such a strike on an American citizen. Kentucky Senator Rand Paul was chief among this group. He went so far as to conduct a 13-hour filibuster on the Senate floor to showcase his displeasure with the president on this very issue. 

During this 13-hour filibuster, Paul said, "When I asked the president, 'Can you kill an American on American soil?' it should have been an easy answer. It's an easy question. It should have been a resounding and unequivocal, 'No.'"

Now let's fast-forward to yesterday, where, in light of the Boston Marathon bombing, Paul said the following to the Fox Business Network - "If there is a killer on the loose in a neighborhood, I'm not against drones being used to search them."

He then said this:

"Here's the distinction - I have never argued against any technology being used against having an imminent threat an act of crime going on. If someone comes out of a liquor store with a weapon and $50 in cash, I don't care if a Drone kills him or a policeman kills him, but it's different if they want to fly over your hot tub, or your yard just because they want to do surveillance on everyone, and they want to watch your activities."

It appears as if Mr. Paul is attempting to cover his tracks in the midst of an apparent flip-flop. Does he not remember what the Obama administration said? They said a potential drone strike on an American citizen could only be ordered under "extraordinary circumstances," where the individual was engaged in combat. No offense to Rand Paul or anyone else, but relaxing in a hot tub or doing yard work doesn't qualify as an "extraordinary circumstance."

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/295509-rand-paul-would-have-supported-drone-use-in-hunt-for-marathon-bomber#ixzz2RKFiSOML

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/03/rand-paul-launches-filibuster-the-talking-kind-against-john-brennan/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...