Skip to main content

The Philadelphia Eagles Draft Grade

It's unknown how well head coach Chip Kelly's offense will transfer from the college game to the NFL. However, I have to say I like what he and management have done with the team in the off-season as far as free agent acquisitions and draft picks go.

The Eagles are one of the most highly graded teams as far as their draft picks went over the weekend. NFL Draft guru Mel Kiper Jr. gave the Eagles a B+ grade - a B for needs and an A for value.

As far as the NFC East is concerned, Kiper graded the Eagles as the best in all three categories. The Giants, Cowboys, and Redskins all came away with C+ grades overall and anything from B to C- grades in terms of needs and value.

The following players were drafted by Philadelphia over the weekend:

Round 1, Pick 4: Lane Johnson (OT/Oklahoma)

Round 2, Pick 35: Zach Ertz (TE/Stanford)

Round 3, Pick 67: Bennie Logan (DT/LSU)

Round 4, Pick 98: Matt Barkley (QB/USC)

Round 5, Pick 136: Earl Wolff (S/North Carolina State)

Round 7, Pick 212: Joe Kruger (DE/Utah)

Round 7, Pick 218: Jordan Poyer (CB/Oregon State)

Round 7, Pick 239: David King (DE/Oklahoma)

Looking at the picks in terms of both need and value, I am inclined to agree with Kiper on his B+ grade. Philly needed the most help on the offensive line and the athletic Lane Johnson will fit right in with Kelly's uptempo system. The team also needed to add some depth on defense and did just that with five additions, including a potential major steal in the 7th round in Oregon State cornerback Jordan Poyer. Matt Barkley could be a potential long-term steal, but will likely wait at least one to two years before getting any playing time. Let's remember the former USC quarterback would likely have been a top 5 to 10 pick if he had left school early last year. The Eagles found a way to nab him in the 4th round. Tight end Zach Ertz could also be a great find for Chip Kelly and his offense. The only question I have with this pick is on the need front. With Brent Celek and Clay Harbor already at tight end, I have to wonder if that pick could have been better spent elsewhere. The guy does have a lot of talent, a great deal of upside, and will likely fit right in with Kelly's system if he is given many opportunities to play. All-in-all, like Kiper, I too give the Eagles a B+ grade.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/76574/mel-kiper-jr-s-draft-grades-nfc-east

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/teams/_/team/phi/year/2013/philadelphia-eagles

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...