Skip to main content

The city of Nelson, Georgia passes "mandatory" gun bill...sort of...

The small city of Nelson, Georgia - home of approximately 1,300 residents - saw its city council members unanimously support a bill entitled the Family Protection Ordinance on Monday night.

What is the Family Protection Ordinance exactly? It's a bill that "requires every head of household to own a gun and ammunition to 'provide for the emergency management of the city' and to 'provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants."

In other words, it's a mandatory gun ownership bill, or is it?

The bill exempts felons, the mentally disabled, and anyone whom doesn't wish to own a gun. 
 
I have a feeling the Nelson city council members may need to be reminded on just what exactly "mandatory" means. According to the dictionary, the word "mandatory" means "authoritatively ordered; obligatory; compulsory."

If only all laws could be this way, such as the following:

- It's mandatory to go a maximum of 65 mph along the interstate, unless you are known to have a lead-foot, are running late for a porno shoot, or just don't feel like it.

- It's mandatory to wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle, unless you're suicidal, trying to pick up chicks, or think helmets are stupid.

- It's mandatory to pay child-support, unless you're still awaiting the DNA results, believe the child may be a Linda Blair clone from "The Exorcist," or think the child is too spoiled as it is.

Councilman and sponsor of the bill - Duane Cronic - actually said that while the bill likely won't be enforced, it will still make the city of Nelson safer as a result, elaborating on the matter by saying this:

"I likened it to a security sign that people put up in their front yards. Some people have security systems, some people don't, but they put those signs up. I really felt like this ordinance was a security sign for our city. Basically it was a deterrent ordinance to tell potential criminals they might want to go on down the road a little bit."

Yes, because when potential criminals hear about a city's mandatory-but-not-really gun ownership bill passing, that will really prompt them to "go on down the road a little bit."

I imagine a pair of criminals would engage in the following discussion regarding Nelson, Georgia when contemplating on where to next take their services:

Jim-Bob Bucktooth: "So, where should we hit next? I'm almost out of money and want to buy me a Bible, a comb, and a few condoms."

Benjamin Klepto: "Dude, how about Nelson, Georgia?"

Bucktooth: "Nelson? Didn't they pass that law which makes everybody own a gun? Let's go somewhere else..."

Klepto: "Naw, man. The law is just a bunch of words and stuff. It never actually got enforced, so not everyone has a gun. Let's go. I'm sure that there are plenty of Bibles, combs, and condoms available."

Bucktooth: "Seriously? Why'd they pass the law then?"

Klepto: "Supposedly to scare guys like us away..."

Bucktooth: "Didn't they know many criminals can hear and read?"

Klepto: "I guess not..."

Bucktooth: "Idiots..."

Klepto: "For sure... Let's do this!"

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/04/02/1808001/georgia-mandatory-gun/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/01/nelson-georgia-family-protection-ordinance_n_2995657.html

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mandatory?s=t

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...