Skip to main content

Texas Senator Ted Cruz appears to know as much about Medicaid as poodles know about quantum physics

Republican Texas Senator Ted Cruz made quite the statement with regard to Medicaid on Monday.

According to the Dallas Morning News, Cruz said the following at a news conference yesterday:

"Our friends who are saying they want health care do not realize that expanding Medicaid will worsen health care options for the most vulnerable among us in Texas."

The stuffed bear upon which a film was named after (Ted) appears to have more knowledge regarding Medicaid than Senator Cruz.

The state Cruz represents - Texas - has the highest percentage of uninsured residents of any state in this country. Approximately 33% of Texans between the ages of 19 and 64 are uninsured (4,886,100). Another 17% of Texans between the ages of 0 and 18 are uninsured (1,247,300) - also tops in the country. Overall, 25% of Texans are uninsured (6,234,900) - once again, tops in the country.

As noted in a study conducted by the Kaiser Family Foundation, if Texas did participate in the Medicaid expansion, their Medicaid rolls would increase by 45% (1.4 million people) as of the year 2019

So how is it that Medicaid expansion for "the most vulnerable" in Texas, whom are without healthcare, would "worsen" healthcare options for these very people? How is it possible to worsen healthcare options for a person without healthcare?

Going by this kind of logic, I have to believe Mr. Cruz would also state the following line at some point in the future (if he hasn't already) - "We shouldn't increase funding for reading programs, as this will worsen reading among the illiterate."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/02/ted-cruz-medicaid_n_2998105.html

http://www.texmed.org/template.aspx?id=5517

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...