Skip to main content

New Hampshire State Representative Steve Vaillancourt calls U.S. Representative Ann Kuster "ugly as sin"

Republican male politicians really do need to start taking courses on how to speak to women, how to act around them, and how to respect them. Deep down, they may not feel as if their party has prompted a war against women, but often times their policy positions and mannerisms say differently. New Hampshire State Representative Steve Vaillancourt decided to continue this lovely trend, as he recently wrote a blog post comparing U.S. Representative Ann Kuster (Democrat - New Hampshire) with her Republican opponent, Marilinda Garcia, when it comes to their appearance and how it will likely affect the outcome of the election. In this post, he wrote these comments:

- "Let's be honest, does anyone not believe that Congressman Annie Kuster is as ugly as sin? And I hope I haven't offended sin. If looks really matter and if this race is at all close, give a decided edge to Marilinda Garcia."

- "Sad to say, but the drag queens are more atrractive [sic] than Annie Kuster ... not that there's anything wrong with that. I've promised myself for years not to use this anecdote, but after seeing the story about the seven to ten point boost for the attractive, this story has political relevance."

In response, Jess McIntosh of EMILY's List made the following statement:

"This is a lawmaker? Like, a person who makes laws? This person has no business anywhere near laws that affect women or other human beings."

To her credit, Kuster's opponent, Marilinda Garcia, also responded to Vaillancourt's offensive remarks with this statement:

"State Rep. Vaillancourt's recent comments about Rep. Ann Kuster are sexist and have absolutely no place in political discourse. Both Rep. Ann Kuster and I have experienced this unfortunate reality of being a woman in politics. I hope that as time moves forward and more female candidates run for political office around the country, people will focus on the content of our ideas rather than what we wear and how we look."

As far as Representative Ann Kuster's response goes, I'd like to hear her say something like this:

"Let's be honest, does anyone not believe that State Representative Steve Vaillancourt's comments were as ugly as sin? And I hope I haven't offended sin. Also, if looks really do matter when it comes to winning elections, it's a wonder how he ever got into office." Oh, snap!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/13/steve-vaillancourt-ann-kuster_n_5977090.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...