Skip to main content

The Kansas City Royals to Curt Schilling: "You're wrong! Speed can win games!"

Just a couple of weeks ago, as I was watching an ESPN broadcast of a baseball game, former ace Curt Schilling talked about the Kansas City Royals, how they relied too much on speed, and that speed doesn't result in victories come playoff time. Immediately as I heard this, I shook my head and likely provided a confused expression only a mother could love. I later talked to my father about the matter, and with which he agreed, I said that I felt speed was one of the most underutilized and effective tools come playoff time.

The fact of the matter is, over the course of a 162-game season, great pitching usually wins over great hitting. This year, eight of the top twelve teams in ERA made the playoffs, with the only outliers being the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim at #15 (3.58) and the Detroit Tigers at #24 (4.01). Besides those two, the other playoff teams ranked as follows in that category: #1 Washington (3.03), #3 Oakland (3.22), #6 LA Dodgers (3.40), #7 Baltimore (3.47), #8 Pittsburgh (3.48), #10 San Francisco (3.50), #11 St. Louis (3.50), and #12 Kansas City (3.51). So, come playoff time, the best pitching staffs typically face one another and lower scores come as a result of that. Due to this, while power hitters can end the game with one swing of the bat, most power hitters also strike out a great deal, so if they square off against a great pitcher, the pitcher will likely have the upper-hand going into the at-bat. Due to this, games are often times won by manufacturing runs, and speed can play a huge factor in doing that. In a 1-1 or 2-2 game, all that's needed, if a team has a great deal of speed, is a base hit. That player can then steal second base, get bunted over to third, and score on a sacrifice fly, which could ultimately be the game-winner. A speedy base-runner can also distract the pitcher or catcher enough to the point where the pitcher misses to a power-hitter, who knocks the ball out of the park, or the catcher lets a ball slip by him which allows the base-runner to move up 90 feet.

Just look at last night's game. The Oakland Athletics led the Kansas City Royals by the score of 7-3 going to the bottom of the 8th inning. It was at this point when the Royals started utilizing their speed to the fullest, by getting on base, stealing bases, bunting for base hits or sacrifices, and finding a way to sneak back into the game, before finally winning 9-8 in the 12th inning. For the game, Kansas City stole seven bases, which were stolen by seven different players. It was the main reason why they ended up winning the contest and moving onto the divisional round of the playoffs. Playoff baseball is different than regular season baseball. Playoff baseball is about great pitching, solid defense, and manufacturing runs on offense. If a team is solid with both their pitching and defense and has solid contact hitters with speed on offense, I'll take that any day over a team with good pitching, good defense, and all-or-nothing power-hitters on offense.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/year/2014/seasontype/2

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=340930107

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...