Skip to main content

My Monday Fun Fact-Check: Cancel-Culture Edition

My Monday Fun Fact-Check: Cancel-Culture Edition (I wrote it yesterday...)
1) "Liberals have canceled Mr. Potato Head!"
False. The toy's manufacturer - Hasbro - has simply dropped the "Mr." from its brand name. The brand is now Potato Head, with Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head still available for purchase. If Mr. and Mrs. Wackywally were married, of what sense would it make to refer to them as just Mr. Wackywally? Wouldn't this imply the hunk Wackywally was single? Is it thereby cancel-culture to refer to the couple as the Wackywallys? No. Next...
 
2) "Joe Biden is trying to cancel Dr. Seuss!"
False. Dr. Seuss Enterprises actually decided to stop the publication of six Dr. Seuss books last year, due to racist imagery, when Donald Trump was still "president." These books are: "And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street," "If I Ran the Zoo," "McElligot's Pool," "On Beyond Zebra!," "Scrambled Eggs Super!," and "The Cat's Quizzer." Dr. Seuss has written an estimated 60 children's books, which means 54 are still available for purchase, or 90% of them. The last time a person contended that 90% was 0% was the time a math teacher got suspended for laughing in a student's face, and then falsely claimed he/she had consumed nitrous oxide for breakfast. Next...
 
3) "Pepe Le Pew contributed to the normalization of rape culture."
False. The character Pepe Le Pew was written as a satirization of French actor Charles Boyer. He was the butt of the jokes, and the female characters always outsmarted him in the end. Ask any individual imprisoned for a sexual impropriety what the reason was for his/her crime, and I can guarantee you they won't say, "Because of a satirical animated skunk from 75 years ago."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...