Skip to main content

Fans are just as fickle and hyperbolic as sportswriters...

I've given sports writers a hard time due to how fickle and hyperbolic many seem to be, especially regarding the sport of football. I'm amazed at how many quarterbacks can be hailed as the second-coming of John Elway one Sunday and then told he'd be lucky to start another NFL game the following Sunday.

As I've come to realize, fans are just as bad, if not worse at times. With me being a fairly neutral observer and lover of the sports world, I don't typically find myself resorting to these kinds of tactics. However, following games on Saturdays and Sundays, I'll sometimes read through message boards and am amazed by what I see.

I remember when living in Nebraska, if the Nebraska Cornhuskers' football team lost a game, I'd hear some people calling for the firing of the head coach or the benching of the quarterback (often times both). I've heard similar comments about the Buckeyes' football team since moving to the Columbus area from Omaha about four years ago.

After the Philadelphia Eagles lost to 3-0 Arizona yesterday, I read some comments about how the now 2-1 and co-NFC East leader Eagles should fire head coach Andy Reid and bench Pro Bowl quarterback Michael Vick.

It's interesting for me and I'm sure others to observe obsessed fans of certain teams. Many will get snippy if one mentions to them that "it's just a game," because to them - in their minds - it's much more than that. However, to most sober and emotionally stable people in the world, it's as much of a game as is some free cell just before going to bed. While I have heard a couple such individuals crying after playing free cell, throwing inanimate objects around the room and cussing more than a drunken sailor after listening to a great deal of gangsta rap, these times have been much fewer and farther between than with obsessed sports fans.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...